KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Dude you walking before you can crawl. Plus I think a company of KTM would not dabble with that until every one else has the bugs worked out of it. Carbs are the way to go right now not FI ;)
Plus look how backwards Yamaha went byt going from carb to fi, 40 lbs increased!

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
i dont even see why they would go to FI, these things run great w/o it..

mine always starts right up and the power delivery is plenty smooth to me

·
Registered
153 Posts
i dont even see why they would go to FI, these things run great w/o it..

mine always starts right up and the power delivery is plenty smooth to me
is your bike back up and running again skier?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
you betcha! it was worth the wait :)

rode it for about 30 minutes tonight...i think it was around 15 degrees at the time but it ran real good

going up to a 15 tooth front sprocket is awesome too, the gears are a little longer but it still hits plenty hard on the bottom, 5th gear wheelies are still no problem! i'm gonna try to get an hour or two on it tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I bet I can rejet the KTM faster than you can plug in a laptop and remap ;) I know I could rejet my Honda with flat slide faster than I could remap my LTR FOR SURE! After having both, I prefer carb ALL the way! And trust me, I am no slouch to FI. I used to be HUGE into 5.0/4.6 mustangs, so the main reason I got a LTR was for the FI. Boy was that a head ache for the last 3 years

·
Registered
540 Posts
so you like your KTM more than your LTR? Im still trying to decide if i wanna make the commitment, i have never worked on a carb in my life, my first 450 was the LTR so i have been with FI forever, i just dont know anything about carbs

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I bet I can rejet the KTM faster than you can plug in a laptop and remap ;) I know I could rejet my Honda with flat slide faster than I could remap my LTR FOR SURE! After having both, I prefer carb ALL the way! And trust me, I am no slouch to FI. I used to be HUGE into 5.0/4.6 mustangs, so the main reason I got a LTR was for the FI. Boy was that a head ache for the last 3 years
I guarantee you cant rejet faster than I can set a map!! LOL I can dial an ltr in, in like 20 min on the dyno. Took me 1 hour with my ktm, and Im fast with carb to.

Ps. the yami is only like 15lbs heavier. My buddy weighed his 07 bill balance. 390lbs. and the new yami is 405 they say. Who know?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I guarantee you cant rejet faster than I can set a map!! LOL I can dial an ltr in, in like 20 min on the dyno. Took me 1 hour with my ktm, and Im fast with carb to.

Ps. the yami is only like 15lbs heavier. My buddy weighed his 07 bill balance. 390lbs. and the new yami is 405 they say. Who know?

Ya fine tuning on a dyno, but out on the track having to change your main jet or slip a clip on the needle, or even the pilot SUPER EASY! I just prefer it any more, and you are scared mr driver :p

the new 09 YFZ450r is a heavy pig around 409 I think DRY!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree that jetting is a pain. A lot easier with the laptop. Besides, starting in cold weather is a snap with FI. I think they will all go in that direction in the long run, just think KTM wanted a tried and true engine to go on their all new quad. Wise choice if you ask me, enough to be building a quad from scratch, you dont want to go into the engine too!

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
+1 for the carb.............. I'm seing to my electrical gremlins on the FI at the track........... TPS outages on both LTR and Raptors, power commanders shutting down.......that's it put it on the trailer.........

when we where riding up in Utah in late 07, guess what bikes ran like crap and gave problems at altitude..... the bloody LTR's, the god ole carbed Yamas just kept on runnin fine, rich but fine.......... so much for the altitude compensation on the LTR's FI........

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But while you jetting i would be riding since the power commander saves the perfect map that was set on the dyno. And have you ever had your carb slide stuck when you were wide open? It isn't pretty.

·
Registered
568 Posts
i have had both the ltr and the new ktm, in my opinion the only thing i like better on the ltr is the fuel injection. the fi makes throttle response a whole lot better, and the throttle is alot lighter.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Every system has it's advantages. But i like especially this advantage: imagine you're riding in deep woods, far away from everything and the bike stops, it's a problem in the injection system. In the FI bike, you can't do nothing if you don't have your laptop (unless if you take a laptop in your back when riding :lol: ). In the carbed engine you can take carb out, clean it, fix it with only 1 or 2 tools and it's running.
Shane Hitt mentioned this and i agree with him.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would be riding with buddies first of all, and I would never be riding in a forest secondly. FI doesn't fail too often or else your car would have a carb on it. Why would you need a laptop if your FI fails???? the laptop is only for tuning it or downloading maps. Okay let's say you battery dies and your deep in the forest, now what??? lol... a carb won't help you there.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would be riding with buddies first of all, and I would never be riding in a forest secondly. FI doesn't fail too often or else your car would have a carb on it. Why would you need a laptop if your FI fails???? the laptop is only for tuning it or downloading maps. Okay let's say you battery dies and your deep in the forest, now what??? lol... a carb won't help you there.
I didnt race last year MOSTLY due to FI! And the year before, I couldnt finish races, because of fuel injection. I couldnt START a race because of fuel injection! It does not belong in the dirt or on the jumps yet. Plus have you ever tried to Bump start a FI bike? YOU CANT! You can bump start a carb though. Carbs really are a lot more dependable. Plus they save WAY more wieght ;)

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Yes but i said in a hypothetical situation because for example i ride in woods.
Our FI cars don't ride in mud, water or dirt.
Why you need a laptop? i tell you why: a friend of mine has a DS450X and he went to a ride with some friends, some water went into the electrical system and the bike stoped. The engine light turned On. He cleaned everything, dried all the wires etc result?he had to take it back to his dealer so they connect it to laptop, go into the can am prog and cleared the errors.

I can see your point, if your defending the FI in the LTR vs the carb in the KTM this will go on and on and we'll reach no conclusion. There's advantages and disadvantages in FI as there are carbs. But of course FI is the future but KTM will take their time to perfect it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts