KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for anyone that has owned Yamaha, Honda etc. I bought a KTM 525 about a couple of months ago. I have nothing but problems with it. The damn thing won't ever start, it handles like a Yamaha Grizzly with out power steering that is. Just saying I hate the thing. Out of all the sport atv's I would have to say that the YFZ is the best one I have ever owned.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is for anyone that has owned Yamaha, Honda etc. I bought a KTM 525 about a couple of months ago. I have nothing but problems with it. The damn thing won't ever start, it handles like a Yamaha Grizzly with out power steering that is. Just saying I hate the thing. Out of all the sport atv's I would have to say that the YFZ is the best one I have ever owned.
Sorry about your problems! All I've ever raced is Yamaha never had any problems with them great quad. I haven't had any problems with my 525 it took a little time to get the handling to my liking but yfz has nothing on mine now. Hope you find a way to make yourself happy!

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I agree with mcracer.
I test ride bikes for an Australian magazine and have ridden just about every bike out there.
I liked the KTM so much over the rest that I bought one myself.
It has taken a little while to dial in the suspension to my liking, but now the thing is unbelievable.
As for the starting issues, have a read through the forum. There were problems with the first quads having the limit switch in the throttle coming loose.
Others had issues with the TPS on the carb being a little out of wack.
The other thing was the idle being too high.
Because of the TPS they will not start if you use the throttle at all while cranking it over.
Stick with it & play with the adjustments.
Also ask plenty of questions on here.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I agree with mcracer.
I test ride bikes for an Australian magazine and have ridden just about every bike out there.
I liked the KTM so much over the rest that I bought one myself.
It has taken a little while to dial in the suspension to my liking, but now the thing is unbelievable.
As for the starting issues, have a read through the forum. There were problems with the first quads having the limit switch in the throttle coming loose.
Others had issues with the TPS on the carb being a little out of wack.
The other thing was the idle being too high.
Because of the TPS they will not start if you use the throttle at all while cranking it over.
Stick with it & play with the adjustments.
Also ask plenty of questions on here.
True, it's a fantastic quad
And all those problems are easily solved

But in no way the KTM handles like a Grizzly...

·
Registered
500 Posts
True, it's a fantastic quad
And all those problems are easily solved

But in no way the KTM handles like a Grizzly...
I for one love the engine on the YFZ. That thing is amazing to say the least, but the suspension is extremely harsh. The kTm 525XC is also an amazing machine as a whole package. If the YFZ had the same options the kTm has straight from the factory IMHO it would be untouchable. But it does not, so that is why I went with the kTm and am very happy with it. Just dink around with the settings on the suspension and you should be able to get it pretty close to awesome. If not send the shocks to Rocket Ron and he will get them there for sure. I want to test ride the SX and see how that thing will do in the dunes of SoCal!!!

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
pops, get the ohlins race kit in the suspension and it'll be transformed.

second forget the stock setup on the front end, dial in some camber and get the tie in right, see my post elsewhere, this makes a big difference.

slip in the KTM 8/06 cam and it'lll have a whole new lease of life HP wise also.

I've been a stauch YFZ man but the KTM chassis and geometry is definetly better, the YFZ will be shaking around getting loose and wagging it's head and the Katoom just blasts straight through......... (benefit of racing both onthe same day in the same conditions has been an eye opener). The KTM is a very composed chassis, nothing seems to faze it.........

I've bought an SX based on the tweaked XC's capabilites and know it'll be good !

hey Lost, what mag do you write for ADB ???

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
lost: ATV Action, yeah i've seen that, nice mag.

you guys need to get over to NZ to see some real dunes !!! just tweakin ya.......

whats the pay like for a freelance contributing editor ? an article or two on the NZ scene maybe

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Always open to contributions. Next issue has an interview with Kiwi Nina Mc Vicar.
Pay? Ha Ha Ha Ha. I get it!

Seriously though, any thing you have to contribute is welcome. Just drop me a PM and I'll shoot some details over to you.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
dont forget boys i got these things figered out. shocks, alignment,and carbs give me a call

317 319 4381 rocketron racing GAME ON

·
Registered
500 Posts
pops, get the ohlins race kit in the suspension and it'll be transformed.

second forget the stock setup on the front end, dial in some camber and get the tie in right, see my post elsewhere, this makes a big difference.

slip in the KTM 8/06 cam and it'lll have a whole new lease of life HP wise also.

I've been a stauch YFZ man but the KTM chassis and geometry is definetly better, the YFZ will be shaking around getting loose and wagging it's head and the Katoom just blasts straight through......... (benefit of racing both onthe same day in the same conditions has been an eye opener). The KTM is a very composed chassis, nothing seems to faze it.........

I've bought an SX based on the tweaked XC's capabilites and know it'll be good !

hey Lost, what mag do you write for ADB ???
Kiwi:
I have the 1st generation Rocket Ron shock upgrades and am going to send them to him again to get the new and improved version done soon.. My mods include the kTm 540 kit, ported head with +1 valves and upgraded valve springs, 8/06 cam, crank case evac valve (from Kenny at KDS Racing), Mino Racing waterpump cover and oversized high flow billet impeller, DASA slip on, and a few other top secret type mods. The folks that put this thing together for me were amazed when it was stock and are now astounded at how it performs. We will see once I get it out to the dunes here in SoCal!!! My Fiance's YFZ fitted with White Brothers exhaust and Jetted was 1 to 2 bike lenghts behind me in a drag race but going up the hill she could catch me at the top when mine was stock and jetted. She is at 140 and I'm at 240 with a lot more riding experience. I just want this thing to spank her YFZ, you see she likes to talk smack about her Yamaha and crack on my kTm. Let the games begin!!! She has no clue what I have done to this thing. TEE HEE HEE shhhhhh

s/f
Brian

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can start by pulling the clutch lever, it wont start unless you do that hehehe joke!!

I must say that you are all out of luck, i have nothing but good to say about mine and now there are 6 months since i got mine and all good.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
poo's weight is your enemy my friend, basically 10 lbs = 1 hp your giving here a 10 hp advantage......... and thats why she's catching you on the climbs !

with that setup you can go for the 8/07 cam for more top end urge no sweat.

we have proven this numerous times with identical quads and one ride 30 lbs heavier than the other, the steeper the climb the more pronounced the difference

the dual rate rear spring greatly improves the rear end hook up that's for sure !!

·
Registered
500 Posts
poo's weight is your enemy my friend, basically 10 lbs = 1 hp your giving here a 10 hp advantage......... and thats why she's catching you on the climbs !

with that setup you can go for the 8/07 cam for more top end urge no sweat.

we have proven this numerous times with identical quads and one ride 30 lbs heavier than the other, the steeper the climb the more pronounced the difference

the dual rate rear spring greatly improves the rear end hook up that's for sure !!
Yeah I've lost the weight so many times literaly, and gained it back so now I figured I would just try to beat it with RAW horse power. I just received my extended brake lever from Lost Down Under and it is a nice piece. To bad it isn't titanium though:( It was always a pronounced thing to grab the back brake because the stock one was so small. I always had to search for it with my foot and it was getting hard to do when I was on the trails. I am definately going to send my shocks back to Ron for the upgrade. I mostly dune down here so it isn't like I'm riping up a race track, but we have a lot of whoops and it is nice to have the suspension right to keep you pointed in the right direction. I do love this bike and enjoy tinkering with it and spend way to much money on BLING BLING stuff. But what the hell, it helps keep the old retired Jarhead sane!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
what quad did you own befor that,if it was a utv your just probly youst to the power steering that it probly had on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts