KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give my 525 Xc an Eight (8)
. Had good fun riding today. Different setup from my LTZ470 totally. This thing rocks. HMF Exhaust is not overly loud which is a plus also. Jetted it, Piped it, K&N it, Cut holes in the breather system. Touched the starter and Voila! Started right up just when I bumped the starter even my brother was impressed...he had a big smile of approval...Also installed the YTZ7 Yuasa Battery and took the YTX5-L out....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode a 525 at the dealer last week for the first time. It is rediculous, absolutely rips. I am getting one by the weekend hopefully, I love it. I just can't decide if I want to get the 450 or not because I might xc and motocross. Damn decisions...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rode a 525 at the dealer last week for the first time. It is rediculous, absolutely rips. I am getting one by the weekend hopefully, I love it. I just can't decide if I want to get the 450 or not because I might xc and motocross. Damn decisions...
If your gonna race MX get a 450 then you can buy a 540 jug for the dunes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the 525, couldn't help myself. If I MX, pro am unlimited it is! Or maybe I'll just buy a 450 motor too....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why not just get a 525 and race with the 450s? Probably wouldnt know as long as you took the graphics off it. People say it wont rev like a 450 but I dont get why it wouldnt cause I thought the longer strokes of the big quads is what hurt the reving. Ktm 525/450 use same stroke.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got a the 525 and all though fun factor might be way up there I'm starting to get annoyed at all the extras needing replaced on the factory quad. I didn't buy the quad to compete rather just to run in the dunes so I had no idea I'd have to keep shelling out money to make it ride able.

Ktm's mistake list
Re-jetting is a must
Aluminum sprockets (To save a few ounces of weight ? stupid)
Header leak with bad popping on decel(This could have been prevented with a better design)
Shocks need redone (one of the reason I got the KTM was it was suppose to have badass shocks)
steering stem(Mines fine so far but I have only ridden it one time so far)
Thumb throttle is a thumb killer (Anyone that test drove this quad should have figured that out)

I'm betting most these thing will be fixed in 09 while most of us with 08 won't get free fixes for KTM's mistakes.
There big sales pitch was .... "you would have to stick about $14,000 in a yfz to get the same quad. well I'm into mine about $13,000 and barely scratched the surface. I just think others should be aware of what there getting into before instead of after.
-Voodoo

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Re-jetting is a must
Aluminum sprockets (To save a few ounces of weight ? stupid)
Header leak with bad popping on decel(This could have been prevented with a better design)
Shocks need redone (one of the reason I got the KTM was it was suppose to have badass shocks)
steering stem(Mines fine so far but I have only ridden it one time so far)
Thumb throttle is a thumb killer (Anyone that test drove this quad should have figured that out)
Ok, there's somethings that need some fix but it's not that expensive.
JD jetting kit costs $75 and solves all the problems. Either the AL sprockets are no major concern...
Header is fixable also and not by spending too much.
Shocks are the most expensive of all that to get right. But you shell out $300 for the Ohlins kit or contact Ron and you're done with top of the line shocks

Steering stem is fine though some people had problems with it...
Thumb throttle is fixed with a different spring in the carb or putting a different one from another brand.
Around $500 or so...

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree to disagree...the Ohlins are "mankillers", but a $400 revalve will simplify that actually the rear shock rides great detuned, its the fronts that were hammering my old shoulders...handling is superb in the air, I was really surprised...Over Rev was awesome for a factory quad...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not just get a 525 and race with the 450s? Probably wouldnt know as long as you took the graphics off it. People say it wont rev like a 450 but I dont get why it wouldnt cause I thought the longer strokes of the big quads is what hurt the reving. Ktm 525/450 use same stroke.

Bigger piston = more mass going up and down so it protests more about doing so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts