KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Brilliant! :bow:
Bronson what was the matter with your 600 shutting down?
I was going so fast I had to lock up both brakes to stop and killed the engine also my riding skills on that 600 are marginal...It would have started right back up if I had hit the Hot Start but I had forgotten about it...soon as I hit the Hot Start it cracked off..
My LTZ470 has a battery on it twice as powerful as the one on the KTM Quads need a bigger battery bracket on the KTM Quads so we can up the battery amps that would cure all the problems with the BB starts...

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
KTM has a smaller battery, more powerful than the stock one, in their 09 Hardparts catalogue, might be something to have a look at.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What mods have that LTR and the other 2 wheeler?
I saw in atvriders the RMZ450 mods and was about to ask you this ;)
The yfz523 had just popped a head gasket and was unable to compete... The other yfz's were just hi-comp piston, porting, cam, full exhaust & intake. The '09 yfz450r had gytr exhaust and maybe a intake, i forgot... If I recall correct the LTR had a PC3, full exhaust, intake & hotcams. The RMZ450 was running a skat trak 10-paddle hooker, hi-comp piston, porting, crower cams, full exhaust & U4.2 fuel. He was jacking his jaw and spanking everything until we arrived, it was quite a bit entertaining to watch him loose!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The yfz523 had just popped a head gasket and was unable to compete... The other yfz's were just hi-comp piston, porting, cam, full exhaust & intake. The '09 yfz450r had gytr exhaust and maybe a intake, i forgot... If I recall correct the LTR had a PC3, full exhaust, intake & hotcams. The RMZ450 was running a skat trak 10-paddle hooker, hi-comp piston, porting, crower cams, full exhaust & U4.2 fuel. He was jacking his jaw and spanking everything until we arrived, it was quite a bit entertaining to watch him loose!

nice work guys. I hurt alot of guys feelings on my 60whp ltr also. I could smoke 90% of the bikes and quads I races. It feels good smoking 450 dirt bikers. They think they cant lose to quads. LOL Then they get a real quick reality check.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh man, that 600 is plain evil :2thumbsup: :eek: I had no idea that thing put out so much power. How do you even keep the front end down?

You know, I'm still pretty partial to Honda's even though my KTM has been impressive thus far. I am planning on building a desert/XC/trail quad later this year since my SX sucks in that arena (they are only happy on the track ya know) and the more I think about it, maybe a 525XC bored out to a 600cc "sleeper" would be a better way to go than modding a 450R? I'm starting to understand this whole KTM thing ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looks like the second funnest thing you can do in 8 min. I didn't even know you guy were here. Hope you don't mind me poping in.

Cole, holly S*&T you finally got the 570 together I'm going to have a beer for you!! It's about dang time :D . What do you think of the motor overall? It sounds like it went a little flat on top. You can put a hoter cam in it but that one should be good for all around, making a little better botom end than the full race cam. We are working on another couple cam profiles as well.

Bronson, The jetting may be a little off on your 600 that's why it may be a little hard to start when it stalls. Have you checked it with an air fuel meter? Or you could just be locking it up and stalling it???

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Looks like the second funnest thing you can do in 8 min. I didn't even know you guy were here. Hope you don't mind me poping in.

Cole, holly S*&T you finally got the 570 together I'm going to have a beer for you!! It's about dang time :D . What do you think of the motor overall? It sounds like it went a little flat on top. You can put a hoter cam in it but that one should be good for all around, making a little better botom end than the full race cam. We are working on another couple cam profiles as well.

Bronson, The jetting may be a little off on your 600 that's why it may be a little hard to start when it stalls. Have you checked it with an air fuel meter? Or you could just be locking it up and stalling it???
I think the 43mm Carb is taking too much away from bottom and I didn't set the squish on it and I didn't adjust the valves correctly cause I didn't have the correct sized feeler gauge so probably need to pull it down set the squish first...get a 41mm Carb on it...adjust valves correctly...get on a dyno and dial it in...probably 3-4 hp still on table that I left behind trying to get the dunes...

Runs and starts smooth was surging some after I got it hot on the trails at Kermit and I took some Wire Ties and secured the fuel line away from the head so it wouldn't get hot (it was laying against the valve adjustment caps) and I never had anymore problem with surging...don't know what was causing it...I don't believe in vapor lock...

·
Registered
309 Posts
thats a cool video. makes me want to get my bike put back together. so your saying the 43 is to big? is it tapered or straight bored and what cam are you guys running i was going to run the 8/33
in my 600 build

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

there is always room for improvement when it comes to jetting. the weather was great so that played no part in it. cole was stalling it out during the hard braking. it seems that i may be having battery issues. i am going to try a 7s battery first and see what happens. i didnt have any issues in the morning, it wasn't until after lunch that it started getting difficult to start. but at the same time we stopped and started constantly and it was draining the battery.

i have been thinking about buying my own a/f meter for tuning purposes. i think i remember reading that dynojet's wide band commander worked well on carb'd quads... do you have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats a cool video. makes me want to get my bike put back together. so your saying the 43 is to big? is it tapered or straight bored and what cam are you guys running i was going to run the 8/33
in my 600 build
i dont want to rain on your parade, but you are wasting you time with the 8/33 cam. if you want to make serious power then you need to go with the 8/07.

both of our carbs are taperbored 43's. i am not sure what using a 41 or 42 taperbore will do for my 600, but i am willing to try it. i think a 41 or 42 taperbore will help cole make more low end power on his 570...

·
Registered
329 Posts
i dont want to rain on your parade, but you are wasting you time with the 8/33 cam. if you want to make serious power then you need to go with the 8/07.
I agree the 8/07 cam is the way to you. the 8/33 cam is to pipey. There is a rumor KTM is no making the 8/07 anymore. It's not true they werent going to import any more untill I ordered 10 of them. Also the part number changed and the old part # shows discontinued

both of our carbs are taperbored 43's. i am not sure what using a 41 or 42 taperbore will do for my 600, but i am willing to try it. i think a 41 or 42 taperbore will help cole make more low end power on his 570....
the difference in the 41/42 is minimal. For better bottom / mid I would go with a stock 41mm. however it will cost you in peak hp (about 2hp)

·
Registered
329 Posts
i have been thinking about buying my own a/f meter for tuning purposes. i think i remember reading that dynojet's wide band commander worked well on carb'd quads... do you have any suggestions?
There are a couple good ones out there. I personally use a Jet4Power and/or a KOSO wide band air fuel meter. Sometimes I'll double check one against the other just to make sure the sensor is not off.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
man wish the video was still up there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts