KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

KTM 525xc - having issues while going thru water

10K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  rumlesj1 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Is any one aware, if KTM's got any kind of water sensor fitted - that turn's the engine off while going thru deep water (up to the wheel level as on the photo bellow) ??

It happened to me twice. As long as nefr bars are covered with water engine turning it self off. Doesn't matter, if I keep the throttle - reps goes down along with the engine ...

Would appreciate any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
my advice is that a ATV is not a boat .

#4 ·
Holly crap, that is insane unless it was an accident. I'm thinking you need a teryx with a snorkel. Mine must have cost alot more than his. I can't even imagine doing that to my bike or MYSELF for that matter. That looks COLD AS HELL.

#3 ·
I bet your carb vent lines are under water at that level.

Chris

#7 ·
I can't contribute on why your quad is turning off. But YOU ARE THE F*CK*NG MAN!!!! That is so freakin hard core!!! Dang that looks cold! HAHA Hell yeah your pic is my new screensaver!! I am so motivated right now! (and warm!) :D

#9 ·
Could you please tell me where is yours situated ? Posting a pix would help a lot !!

I can't contribute on why your quad is turning off. But YOU ARE THE F*CK*NG MAN!!!! That is so freakin hard core!!! Dang that looks cold! HAHA Hell yeah your pic is my new screensaver!! I am so motivated right now! (and warm!) :D
Yeah, mate still got better once B) that's just a sample !

#10 ·
mine are still in the stock location, i dont have my quad close to me to get pictures. but i'd think you should be able to re-route most or maybe cut them shorter.

#12 ·
Mate, believe me I was keeping my throttle up high. After few seconds engine was losing power and turned it self off. What's more, I didn't start on the first time (after puling it out side the water), I had to wait min 5-10min before the engine would start again.

XtremeSkier08 - are your carb vents lines in stock position ?

#13 ·
Are the wheels throwing water in the aribox somehow? I only sucked in a mist of water one time and it ran terrible. Drained the carb and it ran fine again.

#15 ·
On my Outllaw 2 of the vent lines are run up under the front plastics along side the gas tank, and the rest behind the motor. I left the float bowl line there and ran the other 2 vent lines up under the seat to keep them up high.

Chris

#16 ·
Well after having mine submerged in soupy/watery mud this weekend during a race i can say that my engine never cut out. I did however get stuck aparrently one two many times. Finished 3secs behind 3rd place and 28secs behind 2nd

#17 ·
or maybe the fact that your running the quad through ice cold water. Almost any ATV will shut off when you run it through water that cold. Or possibly just seize up the engine. It would take no time flat for that water to cool off your engine enough to shut it off immediately. Our first race i ran the quad through a creek that was easily 18-24 inches deep and never had a problem, but it wasnt in frickin Antarctica, lol. Your NUTS

#18 ·
or maybe the fact that your running the quad through ice cold water. Almost any ATV will shut off when you run it through water that cold. Or possibly just seize up the engine. It would take no time flat for that water to cool off your engine enough to shut it off immediately. Our first race i ran the quad through a creek that was easily 18-24 inches deep and never had a problem, but it wasnt in frickin Antarctica, lol. Your NUTS

2 x Raptor 700 and 2x Can-am Renegate went thru - I mean just drove thru it ! Didn't even stop or choke water !

I still can't think of a reason why it would cut out on you. The carb vents ~ maybe. I'm not convinced that having them submerged would do this. If they were sucking water in possibly, but then there would be evidence when you drained the float bowl. ( by the wy have you checked that out ?!?) It does seem like that is as best a guess at the problem as can be made. My suggestion is get a BIG Thermos of really HOT coffee, reroute those drain lines, And go give her hell! HAHA good luck

Ohhh yes, I'll go for that B)

I might consider checking out carb vents, will let you guys know. Otherwise, If you got any ideas in regards of the above let me know. It seems that it happend to me only.

#19 ·
Just a thought but do you have an electrical fault being caused by the water? Maybe a plug that is loose or something.

#20 ·
It is the vent lines causing your problems. while it is running take a cup of water and stick your vent lines into it. your bike will shut off. There is a post on ktm talk about reworking the vent lines so that the bike will not shut off and keeps fuel from running onto a hot exhaust.

#21 ·
Wow I had the same issues this weekend. It was an extremelly wet race after a week of rain. Several creek crossings that were really deep. I would get through it then it would just die and run like crap for a few miles. I figured it might be the filter it was a little wet but this makes sense.

#28 ·
i ended up having the same issues of it dying in water, couldnt even get the water to the pegs, before it would die, vent hoses indeed, took a pair of windshield washer fluid hose T's and running a pair of vents to the handlebars, no more problems now. i also ride in water fairly high, my old 400ex floats so i never have issues with it, but i was baffled with this one. all fixed now, once again thanks to the forum for that.
now just need to add some grip heaters so i can ride in the colder tempratures this winter and do some ice racing..

#29 ·
I created some "vent caps" to put on the ends of my lines after using a T to run one under the gas tank, by using some old 35mm film cannisters and running the vent line thru the bottom, then using a barbed fitting to kind of lock it in the hole. Some oiled foam in the top of the cannister and a couple of holes in the top and now I don't worry about them sucking dirt or being under water.

#30 ·
Check to see if your intake boot is cracked (between carb and head). I noticed mine was hard to start last weekend and found that mine was cracked. This is a known issue by KTM and they already have a newly designed intake boot. They seem to be cracking from doing maintenance on your air filter.

#31 ·
I don't have any input on your issue, planning on getting a 525XC in the near future and seriously hope I do not have the same issues in that amount of water. My Banshee would go through that much or more with no issues. That's going to be a problem with a few crossings in my normal riding.

#33 ·
definatelyt the vent lines mine did the same thing (wasnt in that much water though, and definately no ice...nice work) couldnt figure it out until i got it home and started drying stuff out. figured out the water wouldnt come out of the lines, pulled them and blew them out...started on the second try.

#34 ·
i went threw aprox the same amount of water but i was only in for a sec and no prob yet, maybe threw a longer puddle might make mine die, but ya the vent lines do go down really low and that would cause it to die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.