KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 ktm 525xc and looking for a replacement motor. The threads fell out of oil drain plug and keeps leaking oil. Cases cost 1400.00, so id rather find a motor. If anyone has one for sale or knows of someone else that does get ahold of me. Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have you talked to a machine shop about welding and re-tapping the hole? It seems like that would be the cheapest option.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, i still would have to split the cases just to see if they could fix it. There is a hole the size of a quarter in the bottom side of threads in drain plug leaving only the first two threads that are full threads to seal plug. Seams easier to buy a motor to me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
good luck. a full up motor is expensive

·
Registered
284 Posts
if its just the plug side of the case you can split that side off easy. maybe 5 hours start to finish tops, i did it with my old outlaw after i got a smoking deal on a rage built motor that had that issue

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can buy threaded inserts to fix the threads pretty easy, and if you're careful you won't have to split your cases, I would try to avoid welding the cases if you can, that's a lot of heat to put through a thin casting and may cause it to warp

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sounds like you just need to put in a helicoil in it. That is a pretty easy and cheap fix.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put a time sert in mine and it is working great. Just google time sert if you want to find a kit. Cost me 75$ It dose fill in the small cut out in the original threads that lets the oil drain out. I don't think it's a big deal. I thought about cutting a new hole there but was afraid I would mess up the fix. I just figure a little bit of oil doesn't get out, but you never get if all out anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It can be fixer for cheaper than a new motor. I bought mine with the repair done the guy who had it before me pulled the threads. Good news is he had the factory 540 installed while it was apart

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did the same on my bike, didn't know better to change the copper washer to a rubber one. I just went and got a bigger drain plug and drilled and taped, I flush the motor out a Few times with cheap oil to get rid of the debris from the tapping. I also had my friend the tool die man to press me in a magnet at the same time ! 100 $ altogether

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.