KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It comes detuned (ignition curve) from the factory. All you have to do is pull a single brown wire apart under the black front nose piece and it puts it into a performance mode ignition curve. It tells you all about it on pg 57 in the owners manual.

I've got the handlebar switch on the way, but wanted to stick this out there and see if anyone could tell the difference.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
i noticed that when i pulled mine it fired up a lot easier and idled much better, it also hauls balls

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
We actually saw a HP loss on the dyno by doing this. It was very minimal nut it was definetly less (it was only less for about 500 RPM, it just happened to be the 500 RPM that it made peak power.
We rode it both ways in the dunes, I could not tell any difference.
I need to get that graph up to show you guys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i got the switch on but dont have enough room to tell the diffrence when the map selector switch is pushed to on it that the preformace mode or the soft mode????

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We actually saw a HP loss on the dyno by doing this. It was very minimal nut it was definetly less (it was only less for about 500 RPM, it just happened to be the 500 RPM that it made peak power.
We rode it both ways in the dunes, I could not tell any difference.
I need to get that graph up to show you guys.
Was it stock or did you have any mods? IE: Air open, jetted, Pipe, Etc?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
now on a stock quad it may do something, but on my quad it does nothing. I dyno'd it both ways and there was absolutely no change. I am taking my switch off to make room for a hot start lever!

·
Registered
769 Posts
My bike showed gains of 4hp and 5ft lbs at 4K rpm then tappered off to no gains at 5.5K rpm this is a hugh gain down low, if you try it again on the dyno make sure to start the run at 3K rpm to compair...

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Just hearing about this now, but it caught my attention.

SO is the any truth to this be it down low or thru the powerband?

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
My bike showed gains of 4hp and 5ft lbs at 4K rpm then tappered off to no gains at 5.5K rpm this is a hugh gain down low, if you try it again on the dyno make sure to start the run at 3K rpm to compair...

runs 14 & 15 are with the map select switch on

runs 16 & 17 are with the map select switch off

no difference!

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
now if we could figure how to reflash the CDI's CPU with a new map !!!!!!!!

10:1 thats what the factory does / can do..... why else would they bother with this feature ? or there is a different CDI from the stink wheelers ..oops, did I say that out load.... 2 wheelers, that has two distinct maps ????

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
i know for a fact that adam & taylor use dirt bike cdi's that are flashed with two very distinct maps for different types of riding conditions... they have to the ability to adjust these maps infinitely until they get them exactly how adam & taylor prefer.

my source has un-restricted access to the front lines!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well you can say what ever you want about this, the truth is (with my bike) it makes a hugh difference, if your going to compair, make sure you compair apples to apples, look at my dyno sheet posted by Driver 311, it is in RPM scale. NOT MPH. after looking at that dyno sheet, come back and tell me the wire/map change makes no difference, I have close to 50 dyno runs on my bike now, prob more then anyone and I've only had it a couple months, I'll be headed back again this week to check gains from more carb boring/blending

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Well you can say what ever you want about this, the truth is (with my bike) it makes a hugh difference, if your going to compair, make sure you compair apples to apples, look at my dyno sheet posted by Driver 311, it is in RPM scale. NOT MPH. after looking at that dyno sheet, come back and tell me the wire/map change makes no difference, I have close to 50 dyno runs on my bike now, prob more then anyone and I've only had it a couple months, I'll be headed back again this week to check gains from more carb boring/blending
man it is no big deal as you arent the first person that has said it makes a huge a difference and i am not the first person that has said it makes no difference. the day that we tested the map select switch, we did 9 runs with it connected and 9 runs with it not connected. heck if there is something that i can do to gain a "free" 4hp/5tq then show me the way...

also it was my simple mistake by leaving it in MPH. i am sure that you know MPH is the default element of time in WinPep7 when you view multiple data points.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
now on a stock quad it may do something, but on my quad it does nothing. I dyno'd it both ways and there was absolutely no change. I am taking my switch off to make room for a hot start lever!
Hey Bronson, be sure to let us all in on the hot start lever, I know I would like to move mine up top or at least more accessible!

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I dont know if it just being a big bore, but when it is hot I have to use the hot start to get it started again. Frankly I was sick if burning my hand and ruining gloves reaching down there trying to pull the dang lever... Used an oem dirt bike cable and ktm hard part billet clutch clamp lever. Install looks 100% oem to me!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts