KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !

Bad day for me :cry:, after 65 hours since my last rebuild, i had, what we can call a "catastrophic failure", i was riding to meet some friends for our ride day, but after living my house, less than 1 km, my engine sudenly make a strange noise (like brrrrrrrrrrrr), and dont move foward any more, even if the engine was still working. so back to home, to pull out the engine, and open-up to see what happen, and i had very bad suprise.

The countershaft broke in two pieces ,between the idler gear 3.G, and the sliding Gear 4.G.
And my another suprise, was to find that one the bearing of the countershat pop out backware from the case and broke a part of the case.

Very strange after 65 hours whith no problem at all, no strange noise... Any idea, or someone ho see this hapeening ?
Do you think i cant weld the pieçe of the case back, or is not safe at all and send the case to trash ? all the rest of the engine, exept the counter shaft is ok.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My first thought was the transmission i bought( i bought 2 of it ), its was really sheep, but we inspect everything on this transmission and nothing was strange, all the gears was in mint condition, the shafts had no marks at all, they seems like new. my other thougth maybe abuse of the shifting whith no clutch, but i already do that on some others builds and never happen. Last thing, this engine case are old, more than 700 hours on it, and maybe the bearing seat whith the heat start to let move the bearing, still he pop out, and broke the counter shaft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi! Sorry to hear that, it must feel like shit.... Will be following this thread, hopefully some experienced members will jump in

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that suks, but i already find another engine whith only 10 hours on it, since it was rebuild (Race hours). I´m going to see some welders this week, to see what they say about welding the case (if it can be done, and the most inportant if its stay safe), i know magnesium is litle tricky to weld, so lets see. if it cant be repair, maybe i sell the rest of the engine for parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts