KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity that came up to purchase a semi wrecked 2017 gsxr 1000r from a buddy of mine and got a crazy idea to try and swap the motor into my 08 525xc. Is there anyone out there that can tell me whether or not this is possible or am i nuts for even thinking about it?? Looking for any inquiry or help TIA

just as a side note the bike itself is going to cost me just as much as rebuilding my motor would be in my area which is why I’m even considering it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Following out of sheer interest… guess I’d be looking at the key dimensions of the motor and taking it from there.

Someone recently on the UK KTM Forum was asking about a 690 (LC4 FI) swap but got scuppered by the fly by wire throttle. Worth checking on any modern motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll second Miner's input.

I can tell you that kind of swap CAN be done but, its not the slightest bit a small task. I had an accident on my 2006 Yam FZ6 back in 2010. I was OK but the bike had enough damage to total it. Bought it back to get a few things off of it for my next one. Sold the bike to some creative friends from our dunes group. They had access to a Honda 450R quad chassis that was less engine. Some campfire talk with a few adult beverages resulted in the FZ6 engine (~100hp 600cc) being installed in the Honda quad chassis. It required major alterations to the upper chassis, using the old tank for an engine cover and a new fuel tank (with fuel pump) being fabricated out of aluminum to go under the seat. For good measure a 6" extended swing arm was fabricated and installed. The finished product is a rocket but.....its a bit on the heavy side and the electrical side of things drove them crazy and still does. They have about $1500 total in it and it embarrasses some MUCH more expensive hardware at the drags. Your GSXR 100 engine would require even more shoehorn work.

Bottom line...it can be done. It's a lot of work and takes some serious fabrication talents. I understand the temptation but make sure you're up to climbing that mountain. You might be better off parting out the remains and selling it on Ebay to raise cash then, search for a KTM 690 (Duke, Enduro, SM, etc) willing to donate it's engine. The electricals will still be a challenge but it will be much less of a mountain as far as the chassis alterations, etc. Make sure the donor bike has a fully working electrical system. The big single cylinder engine will be much more stealthy pulling up to the line too.

Keep us informed!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts