KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ktmatvhq,

Quick question for you guys. I Havent been on the ATV scene in a few years so im pretty out of the loop. I am in the market for a bike as I want to get back into riding... so I've been trying to figure out
which bike I would like to pick up. So far the KTMs look great, but im seeing in some forums people complain that the KTMs are not reliable... is this true? Do they have major reliability issues?

Im looking at either the 450 or 525.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys, and thanks in advance!

-B

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Many people complain about reliability issues because they have no idea what they are talking about or they bought an SX model quad and tried to treat it like a 400ex. The XC 450 and 525 are a very reliable platform and perform better then anything else on the market right out of the box. The only issue they have had is tearing intake boots and spinning thread inserts in the gas tank. The intake boot is a quick easy fix to the updated part and the spinning thread inserts are an easily avoidable problem if you know not to over tighten them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
dont forget about broken rocker cover bolts, snapped rocker arms, crank nuts coming loose, hydraulic clutch failures, axle nuts breaking. mind u i have only experienced the rocker cover bolts breaking (3 hours after buying brand new) then the rocker arm snapped at about 20 hours (blaming the dealer for improper repair job though) but none of the other problems that i have stated i have had happen yet, but other people have had them fail prematurely.

oh ya and if u ride in hot weather they really should have an oil cooler and oversized water pump.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
ive never had any of the problems stated above minus the intake boot and spinning inserts. if your just recreational riding dont even think about an sx. i was thinking about racing and still got an xc and did fine. ive done just as much maintenance to my 400ex as my xc and they have similar time with the 400ex slightly more.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Plenty reliable. Forums have a tendency to only show the bad. I've raced my XC hard for 3 years without any major issues. Just like any other bike, preventative maintenance must be done.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
My 08 did a whole season with nothing more than regular oil changes and one valve adjustment.....In stock form they are damn reliable machinesn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very nice. I like what im hearing. Are there any specific model years to watch out for? I found a couple 2008s online in my area, maybe i'll have to scoop one of them up then.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Don't do it! They are a piece of crap!!!!!!!! lol Kidding ;) They are race bikes, so they needed to be treated as such. The only issue I had was the spinning insert in my lower fuel tank/fender mount. Thats it. If you decide to get one, the best advise I can give is to dielectric grease each connector. Other than that. It should last you forever if your a rec. rider.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Engine = Bullet proof!! given regular oil changes and valve adjustment. (been developed and improved in dirtbikes for 6 or 7 years.)

Chassis/Frame = not bad either

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
[video=youtube;hWS9RuEQzc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS9RuEQzc8[/video] this works for all rfs engines except a couple of early year models - 2003 dirtbikes etc. Jump to 2:30 to skip the plastic removal.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
a buddy of mine had the 525 irs polaris with hundreds of hours on it with 0 problems and then mine has given me a quite a few problems so far.... i guess its like any machine there's nothing perfect. if i could do it all over again i would still buy a ktm just because they are so damn fun to drive!! lol. and yes preventative maintenance is key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well you guys convinced me. Paying a guy to hold his for me (currently in Afghanistan) for 10 days until im home on R&R when I can go pick it up :)
2008 525 XC
Looking forward to this.

Thanks again!
-B

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
u wont be disapointed. they are extremely fun and fast. just remember to check valves (and axial rocker clearances) i think that's why mine blew up cause the shop that i deal with didnt set the axial clearance tight enough and the rocker was touching the casting until finally it snapped off. hard lesson learned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent. I will def be an active member on these forums as soon as im home for good. (End of Jan). Is there anyone on here that is from VA? Or perhaps anyone who knows of good places to ride in VA?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys im new to the ktm world i recently purchased a 2008 ktm 525 xc with a 540 thumper kit and alot more goodies question is bike will only half turn the motor on a new battery YZF7s and even with a jumper it won't turn all the way i removed the spark plug and turns fine im guessing alot of compression? I removed the valve cover and found a "weak auto comp spring" still works but feels tender tried installing a new one somehow i messed the new one up it comes out the slot after i give it the 1/2 turn to engage it with pressure any help or tricks to get it to sit ? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
[video=youtube;hWS9RuEQzc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS9RuEQzc8[/video] this works for all rfs engines except a couple of early year models - 2003 dirtbikes etc. Jump to 2:30 to skip the plastic removal.
Will this work on the EXC525?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts