KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, picked it up last night, first unit in the country down under !

first impressions: the stock exhaust sparky end piece is very restrictive, throw it in the bin........

I couldn't get the race nose to fit over the heaqdlight, not a biggy, the lights have hit the spare parts pile...... perfect fit then........

engine is way faster than the XC; instant snappy response, rips superb wheelies in the dealers car parking lot in 2nd and 3rd!!! and those soft compound tires really smoke up on the asphalt !!! oops...... can't wiat to get the akrapovic on it..... gezus......

suspension: it's over damped, no doubts about it, we backed all the clickers out immediately then back in one click so to be sure it is in the lightest settings. Not as bad as the XC in stock form, but will still need revalving to get it pro ready, not a biggy but with all that adjustment the lightest damping settings as is should be the middle of the clicker range settings then it could be dialed in better. Hard to evualate the spring rates due to the slow damping.

Don't get me wrong here it's very rideable / usable "as is" and is definetley better than the stock ohlins on the XC. I looking at this from a ProAm / Pro view point, this is way tricker than any thing from Jap o land out of the box............

Front end: main spring should be shorter, this would then allow a sag / zps top spring to be added to the spring stack to lower the ride height as it tends to sit nose high.

the orange beadlocks look trick as hell in the first person !!

we are taking it to the track tomorrow for a full dial in session, will also take the ohlins race kitted XC and a set of TCS fronts I have handy and dont be surpised if we use the race kitted ohlins to race on initally until we get more dial in time on the WP's.

it's worth the $$$ just for the engine alone !! and it looks as horny as all hell in the flesh.......... this is one good looking ride !!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yup, picked it up last night, first unit in the country down under ! first impressions: the stock exhaust sparky end piece is very restrictive, throw it in the bin........ I couldn't get the race nose to fit over the heaqdlight, not a biggy, the lights have hit the spare parts pile...... perfect fit then........ engine is way faster than the XC; instant snappy response, rips superb wheelies in the dealers car parking lot in 2nd and 3rd!!! and those soft compound tires really smoke up on the asphalt !!! oops...... can't wiat to get the akrapovic on it..... gezus...... suspension: it's over damped, no doubts about it, we backed all the clickers out immediately then back in one click so to be sure it is in the lightest settings. Not as bad as the XC in stock form, but will still need revalving to get it pro ready, not a biggy but with all that adjustment the lightest damping settings as is should be the middle of the clicker range settings then it could be dialed in better. Hard to evualate the spring rates due to the slow damping. Don't get me wrong here it's very rideable / usable "as is" and is definetley better than the stock ohlins on the XC. I looking at this from a ProAm / Pro view point, this is way tricker than any thing from Jap o land out of the box............ Front end: main spring should be shorter, this would then allow a sag / zps top spring to be added to the spring stack to lower the ride height as it tends to sit nose high. the orange beadlocks look trick as hell in the first person !! we are taking it to the track tomorrow for a full dial in session, will also take the ohlins race kitted XC and a set of TCS fronts I have handy and dont be surpised if we use the race kitted ohlins to race on initally until we get more dial in time on the WP's. it's worth the $$$ just for the engine alone !! and it looks as horny as all hell in the flesh.......... this is one good looking ride !!
. So would be worth buying one over an xc and narrowing it up and putting xc size tires on it to ride in the woods. Is the motor that much better ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
. So would be worth buying one over an xc and narrowing it up and putting xc size tires on it to ride in the woods. Is the motor that much better ?

Im not so sure it would be worth it. The xc is made for xc and the sx is made for mx. If it was worth it i think they would of put that motor in the xc chasis. The xc motor loves to be lugged and have that lowend grunt, im pretty sure the sx want to be run like a raped ape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my 505 to, man what a beast, We have the only 2 in country at present,cant wait to do some hours this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Congrats Craig!! I'm sure your smiling just as much as I am!!!

What are your plans with it otherwise?

Jay

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trew

ride the arse off it is my very simple plan.

changes:
elka 5 damper already on
flexx bars (cause I like me and run em on all my quads)
Akrapovic factory exhaust
decent heel guards cause I kill the stock ones...
F2 racing fuel screw and deep main jet cap (help hi rpm lean out on the sx dirtbikes)

I really want to go for the twin air power up kit as well.

KTM are looking into different cams (TT application) and differnt CDI !

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Looks like you've got your game plan down right! I hope all of my stuff for mine shows up quickly here for me so I can get it off to PC and get it all setup.

Where are you at with jetting with the Akra?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks good! I hope to have one in my garage soon
I had the chance to look one over at the dealership the other day...what an amazing machine. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the YFZ I just got done building.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
sell it...

the SX runs like a freakin champ, awesome power.

i had one guy with an LTR ask me what i had done to it, i said absolutely nothing but hipers and flexx bars, he said "i have a hi-comp piston, full Bondi motor, hotcams, titanium valves, and a ported head, and you drove by me like i was standing still, WTF"

·
Registered
8 Posts
sell it...

the SX runs like a freakin champ, awesome power.

i had one guy with an LTR ask me what i had done to it, i said absolutely nothing but hipers and flexx bars, he said "i have a hi-comp piston, full Bondi motor, hotcams, titanium valves, and a ported head, and you drove by me like i was standing still, WTF"
I would love to sell it right now and I'm really thinking about it. I have over $12k in aftermarket parts on my YFZ and I only have 5 minutes ride time on it. It would be a huge loss, but I'm actually thinking about it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trew

ride the arse off it is my very simple plan.

changes:
elka 5 damper already on
flexx bars (cause I like me and run em on all my quads)
Akrapovic factory exhaust
decent heel guards cause I kill the stock ones...
F2 racing fuel screw and deep main jet cap (help hi rpm lean out on the sx dirtbikes)

I really want to go for the twin air power up kit as well.

KTM are looking into different cams (TT application) and differnt CDI !

Sweet quad, can't wait till I get mine. What is the difference with the Akrapovic exhaust on, is it a slip on. I am not sure what exhaust to put on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
mine will be paired with a hindle full system, we lend them the bike for testing and they give us free pipes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts