KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Another public service announcement: The Ratchet mechanism tension spring can fatigue over time. If this happens, your kick-starter can skip every once in a while. The one I put on my 2009 did it once the day I took the above video but I thought it was a fluke. It has done it a handful of times since then. I did some looking and I guess that was something that could happen on the RFS engine and the solution is to replace that spring. Since the spring is cheap (under $2), I'd recommend everyone always use a new 58033028000 when installing their kick-starters for maximum life.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
you need to look at your regulator, clearly it and or your stator isn't working. the XC has a 200 watt stator system, the most powerful of any product sport ATV by miles...... it should easily be able to keep up ?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
just got my kick start setup installed last night. works great, was easy to install, and started first kick.
Awesome! You're the first person who isn't me that I've actually seen get one to work! Very cool!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That should gear the quad up a bit. Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
ktm offers the pin in newer models, its 59033018000
Interesting! That part is for the 250+ 2-stroke which runs a different idler gear, but maybe it's the same size? Let us know if it works!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I checked the size of the circlip before I ordered, its the same circlip, so I went for it, and I just got it in, and stuck the idler gear on it to make sure it was the right diameter, and it is. and I was wanting it geared up, cause now im running a 16t front sprocket, and wouldn't mind it geared up more, this will also lighten up flywheel weight, so im interested in seeing how it runs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Is the pin the appropriate length also? Did you measure how deep the hole is? I know the E-start idler gear pin is also the same diameter, but is too long.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't believe so. KTM never made any kickstart dirt bikes in the 2007 to 2012 sxf engine family so the parts don't exist to do it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A word of caution regarding kick start conversions for the KTM XC ATV (using either the KTM pin OR the replica that I’ve sold):

Some background:

People were doing kick start conversions since the KTM ATVs came out. The primary challenge in installing the kick starter involved sourcing the pin that the idler gear rides on. No one in the community knew the KTM part number for this pin. Some folks had replicas made, and others actually got them out of old dirt bike cases. When I set out to install the kick starter on my KTM ATV, I contacted DJH and had him mill a pin out of an old set of dirt bike cases for me. I installed the kick start and after a bit of testing with no issues, I decided to get another pin from him for my second ATV. A machinist friend of mine wanted to install the kick start on his ATV as well, and we decided to start making copies of the KTM pin. Due to interest on KTMATVHQ and other places, those copies became the replica pins that I sold for a while.

Before selling any of those pins to the public, I installed one in one of my engines. It is still in that engine today and has been problem-free. Several of my friends also got the pins before they were really released to the public and everyone seemed to have good luck putting them together. A few months after I began selling the pins, a user on the KTMATVHQ forums was able to locate a part number from KTM. I actually purchased one of those pins and verified that it was in fact the same as the second pin that DJH had sold me and it was, so I stopped having replicas made.

The issue:

Recently, I installed the last replica pin that I had in a friend’s engine. We heated the cases and froze the pin and as I was centering it up to drive it into the cases, it simply dropped into the hole. It didn’t require any driving at all. I found this unsettling, as every installation I’ve done has required a fair amount of force to drive the pin in. Once the cases cooled, the pin did not move and we could not pull it out. Since I had never received any complaints of a pin falling out of the case, we decided that it was likely fine and re-assembled the engine. After an hour or so of ride-time however, the pin migrated out and came into contact with the clutch basket, breaking one of the 6 “spokes” off. This piece fell into the shifting mechanism and locked the ATV in gear. At this point, I was concerned that the pin may have been the wrong size, but measuring it against the KTM pin revealed that this was not the case. It appears that the hole in his cases is slightly larger than what we’ve experienced in the past. Fortunately, the engine is otherwise fine and just needs a new clutch basket. The pin has been removed and a one-off pin is in the works to get my friend’s kick starter working again.

In the meantime, I’ve purchased another KTM pin for one of my spare engines and decided to take some measurements prior to installation. This pin was actually the largest I’ve received yet from KTM, but still has only 0.0005” of interference, which I don’t feel is enough to ensure that it will never come out. I’ll be having a one-off pin made for this engine as well.

My current theory:

KTM used a bolt to locate the pin in the dirt bikes. Since the reverse shaft is in the way, this is not possible in KTM ATV applications, and those of us who have been doing kick start conversions have been relying on the interference fit to hold the pin into the cases. Unfortunately, since the interference fit was not intended to be the method for holding the pin in, it doesn’t look like it is very tightly controlled. I’ve purchased a total of 4 KTM pins. Two of them were removed from old RFS engines, and 2 of them are the newly discovered part number 59033018000 pin. The diameter of these 4 pins has varied by 0.001”. On my latest installation, using the largest diameter KTM pin I’ve received to date, I have only 0.0005” of interference, meaning that if I was using the smallest KTM pin I’ve ever received, I’d have a slip-fit at room temperature!

My recommendations:

I don’t think this is an epidemic by any stretch of the imagination. If you have installed a kick start on your ATV and have been running it for a while with no issues, I would think everything is fine. I have 2 KTM pins and 1 replica pin across the 3 engines that I have set up for kick start and have been running them for a year now with no issues. I have many friends who have been running the replica pins with no issues as well. In addition, I didn’t invent this idea. Many folks were doing kick start conversions long before I did and have had no problems. As long as the pin needed to be driven into the cases, even with the heat, you should be fine. I would still probably remove the clutch hub from time to time and check it and make sure everything is OK if you’re worried.

If you have recently installed the kick start and haven’t run it yet, and the pin nearly fell into place, I’d be trying to remove it, and do some measurements, or just keep an eye on it, removing the clutch hub from time to time and ensuring that nothing has moved until you’re satisfied that everything is OK.

If you have been planning on installing the kick start, but haven’t done so yet, I’d take measurements before you do. If you don’t have about 0.0010” – 0.0015” of interference, feel free to contact me and we can talk about making a one-off pin. My machinist friend can do it, but obviously, I don’t have them sitting on the shelf. Other options include using loc-tite / set screws, etc but that’s not something we have tried.

As ever, feel free to contact me with any questions.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It's right. MSRP is something like $10.56 KTM lists it as "Bearing Pin"

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Could always use loctite press fit on the end of the shaft as well to help "glue" it on.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts