KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

Key switch location

11K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  flyn 
#1 ·
For those of you who race MX/TT, what have you done with the key switch to clean up the handlebars? Did you move it or buy a "dash" to mount it? Need suggestions please.

#2 ·
KTM offers a key relocation plate that mounts it under the right front fender. It seems like it could get bumped and turn off, but if you see it in person its fine.

#6 ·
What did you do with the instrument lights?

That plasitc housing is junk! It kept coming off during my race this weekend. That's one thing I'm going to try to fix before Big Buck on Sat.

bferg, can you post a pic that better show cases the switch?

#8 ·
yeah I'm not sure i'll take that route I like the neutral and reverse lights.

I wish there was a hot light, btw how do we know if the engine is running hot? :huh: I haven't been able to find anything out in the owner's manuals. Certainly KTM thinks that this is a possibility, right?!?

#16 ·
I dont want to hi-jack this thread, but this is how I did my lights and key on my SX.

The key plate I just used some extra plastic from when I did my fender cut. HEated it drilled it and made the hole with the correct notch for the key socket and WA-LA!

For my lights I drilled two holes in the plastic undernieth the Quadtech hood. I drilled and installed the on light on the right(seen in pic) and the headlight(even though I dont even have one) on the left. They are out of the way and you can see them if you need to.

I did it this way because there was no way I was going to pay 30 bucks for the KTM style relocator. The plastic holds the key perfect, havent had an issue yet, and I dont see why I would. Im not a big fan of the key right there, so as soon as I find a better spot I will more than likey move it someplace else. I just did it like this because I wanted to clean up my bars asap.

Attachments

#18 ·
Thanks bro ;)

#20 ·
After simply using zip-ties to attach the lights & key to the other cables I ended up getting one of the Rox dash plates that sits over the top of the clamp. Looks great and is very functional ...

#23 ·
thats fair amount of more protection from the elements

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.