KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought this was funny. I was in the garage yesterday with my teamate workin on the quads. We were both doing valve adjustments on our quads. 10-15 min i had mine done. He was just getting to the valves on his (z-400). I had to laugh, so i went over to lend a hand to the 3 people already working on it and let me tell you, what a pain in the A**
. Just let me say that im glad we dont have to screw around with shims. Just pop off the valve covers, loosen the locking nut, adjust, lock it, put covers back on, DONE!. Just thought id share.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That sounds pretty good. I had no idea they never had shims. I've yet to check mine. I only rode mine 3 trips and I figure I'll adjust the valves after trip 5 or 6. I've never adjusted valves before so I figure I'll pay a mechanic I know about $100 to teach me. I will also have to adjust a raptor 250 (my son's) and a 400ex (my wife's) I'm hoping they will have the basic idea in common. On previous quads I've had I purchased maintenance plans that cover valve adjustments and oil changes but after get the new line up I figured it was time I learned how to do all my own stuff.
-Voodoo

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sounds pretty good. I had no idea they never had shims. I've yet to check mine. I only rode mine 3 trips and I figure I'll adjust the valves after trip 5 or 6. I've never adjusted valves before so I figure I'll pay a mechanic I know about 0 to teach me. I will also have to adjust a raptor 250 (my son's) and a 400ex (my wife's) I'm hoping they will have the basic idea in common. On previous quads I've had I purchased maintenance plans that cover valve adjustments and oil changes but after get the new line up I figured it was time I learned how to do all my own stuff.
-Voodoo

You might be able to watch a vid showing how to adj valves on youtube.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
hmmm, I bet you have to adjust those rockers alot more than a shimmed top end. Suzuki's have to be the worst of the lot to work on,,,,,, takes all day just to get the plastic off.....

I've found my YFZ top ends hold a shim setting all season no sweat, set and forget...... rockers they always go outta spec..........

the SX engines are all shimmed............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts