KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i rode the stock ktm with pipe,jetting, ignition map unpluged and i was the holeshot king, every race i got 2 bike lengths ahead and always got the holeshot but lately its not working. what i have changed is the tyre size now 18s on rear and 20s on front and gone one tooth up on the front sprocket. now no matter what i do im level with the other bikes if not behind, and thiers another stock ktm now that is were i was. the best thing i can think is maybe going one tooth smaller on back sprocket to gain a touch more top end but as is i still dont think thiers the same pull off the line. i used to do 3rd gear starts on stock and that was my winning formula, ive tried 2nd and 3rd gears starts now and just cant do what i used to be able to. any help guys i would be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
hey guys i rode the stock ktm with pipe,jetting, ignition map unpluged and i was the holeshot king, every race i got 2 bike lengths ahead and always got the holeshot but lately its not working. what i have changed is the tyre size now 18s on rear and 20s on front and gone one tooth up on the front sprocket. now no matter what i do im level with the other bikes if not behind, and thiers another stock ktm now that is were i was. the best thing i can think is maybe going one tooth smaller on back sprocket to gain a touch more top end but as is i still dont think thiers the same pull off the line. i used to do 3rd gear starts on stock and that was my winning formula, ive tried 2nd and 3rd gears starts now and just cant do what i used to be able to. any help guys I wouldbe much appreciated
Check the diameter of the 18's and the 20's with a tape measure to insure they are in fact 2" difference...one up on the front is way up! and you are still expecting a 3rd gear start? I would have even doubted 2nd gear start...also check the the weight of the tires the 18's could be 6 ply and the 20's could have been 4 ply's and lighter?...just making some SWAG's at what's different...Sclater you are downunder eh mate?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the diameter of the 18's and the 20's with a tape measure to insure they are in fact 2" difference...one up on the front is way up! and you are still expecting a 3rd gear start? I would have even doubted 2nd gear start...also check the the weight of the tires the 18's could be 6 ply and the 20's could have been 4 ply's and lighter?...just making some SWAG's at what's different...Sclater you are downunder eh mate?

yeah im down under in aussie land, tyre weight i cant see being much issue as the tyre is 1 inch narrower and yeah diameter is 2" less, the 20" were 4 ply and the 18" is 2ply so right thier the wheels are lighter. i might consider the width of the tyres but i think its more about gearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah im down under in aussie land, tyre weight i cant see being much issue as the tyre is 1 inch narrower and yeah diameter is 2" less, the 20" were 4 ply and the 18" is 2ply so right thier the wheels are lighter. i might consider the width of the tyres but i think its more about gearing.

its all gearing.....when i had my 426ex i started off with a 15t front(stock size) and a 36t rear on 18"s (stock gearing was 15/38) i switched it to 16/36 and it made a HUGE difference. holeshots were way better, low end was hard hitting and it gave me lots of top end. ild try going to a 36T rear for a 15/36 gearing

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
its all gearing.....when i had my 426ex i started off with a 15t front(stock size) and a 36t rear on 18"s (stock gearing was 15/38) i switched it to 16/36 and it made a HUGE difference. holeshots were way better, low end was hard hitting and it gave me lots of top end. ild try going to a 36T rear for a 15/36 gearing

:huh: how did the tooth combination work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts