KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have been reading a lot on the threads on here joined a few weeks back. I'm about 3months away from buying a KTM I'm pretty set on the 505sx but i pretty much have resources the be able to buy the 525xc or 505sx. both witch are in dam near new condition. i pretty much only ride sand. I'm mainly looking for what your guys input on what machines is best for my needs. right now I'm riding a yfz450 501 big bore stroker. houser long travel up front houser swing arm +2 axle. elka dune edition full suspension, ect, ect, ect,. its my brothers spare bike long story short we grew up sharing one yfz he got a spare and i have been using that for awhile but now its my time. kinda wondering witch will be close to what I'm on now. power wise?? is it worth getting the 525xc and changing suspension?? or go 505sx and power upgrades??? all info is very helpful and appreciated. i am new to the KTM world. and yes i do know my grammar is horrible lol.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think that SX motor will be more at home ripping in the dunes, I'd go that route.

Not that it really matters, but just to let you know, the 505sx is actually 477cc (I think?) and the 525xc is actually 510cc from the factory.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
i would agree on the sx. i have had better luck with my sx motors anyway...

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 505 is more of a mid-top end ripping motor. higher revving design, and meant to live up there. It comes with wider stance and more mx setup suspension(the xc does have an adj axle however to widen it out), after this they are near the same. All in all, the 505 is a bit more exciting, the 525 is more of a smooth thumper with a decent top end. Both are excellent quads. Each can be modified for more punch than your 501, and will be a totally different personality. I'd go for either, but for mostly dunes the 505 mill will last longer and have more top end rev available.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys helps a lot I'm sure ill end up on the 505. from what i read and all your guys info I'm sure the 505 will be best for me. I'm super excited. and have been looking at a few parts already for sure going to be getting fassflex bars with the antivibe inserts. I'm thinking for exhaust the full DASA. still looking into the KTMbill one wasn't sure witch was best???. not sure one a cdi box yet????. and a FCi intake. and we will see what i will need from there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys I pulled the trigger a little soon on a deal I couldn't pass up. Got me at 09 505sx with a lot extras has Baldwin Motorsports built motor not sure exact specs will have to ask my buddy its bored over and high compression piston 12to1if I remember right ktm bill pipe jb racing control arms fasst flex bars Persion steering stabilizer full pep suspension quad tech hump seat powdercoated frame and swing arm. Got rid of all the hym joints and switched to ball joints. Stripped the wiring harness to something real simple I guess I will get some pics and more info look forward to everyone's help thank guys

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Just a FYI, the 505 motor is already bored about as large as you can go without serious modifications to the cases. That is why you won't see any big bore kits for them. Maybe it is 0.010" over or something for just an overbore to repair the cylinder after an engine failure?? 12.5:1 compression is stock. Mark Baldwin keeps a build sheet for every motor he does on file, so if you know who the original owner was you can call Mark and he will tell you exactly what he did to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou quad97 I appreciate the info I got it from a friend of mine (old boss) and he went over it so fast and then unloaded so many spare parts it was a lot to take in. I will have to give him a call.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Spare parts are always good! We need pics now, sounds like a good bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im not sure if the old owner was on this forum he has had about 7 KTMs lol. Here's some of the spare parts it came with

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah there's a ton of stuff. I just need to order my paddles here soon 21-12-8 8paddle double buffed bead to bead and a FCI intake. So far I've only picked up a few things refresh kit for the flexx bars new grips oil change kit and some new gear. I also wanted to ask you guys I really enjoyed my brothers AVS levers on his spare YFZ I used to ride. Is there any after market levers out there my brother was telling me there might not be a lot out there cause it has a hydraulic clutch I've been looking on a few sites but nothing comes up for my model??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Damn, looks like a good score with all those tires. Never really looked at aftermarket levers since I like the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yeah there's a ton of stuff. I just need to order my paddles here soon 21-12-8 8paddle double buffed bead to bead and a FCI intake. So far I've only picked up a few things refresh kit for the flexx bars new grips oil change kit and some new gear. I also wanted to ask you guys I really enjoyed my brothers AVS levers on his spare YFZ I used to ride. Is there any after market levers out there my brother was telling me there might not be a lot out there cause it has a hydraulic clutch I've been looking on a few sites but nothing comes up for my model??
You can get an ASV for the KTM bikes that works with the master cylinder that is on the XC quads, but it's not quite the same setup on the SX. We're pretty much stuck with stock, which I like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started cleaning her today and polished a lot of the stuff and the levers they are not so bad I think I can get used to them I'm during to ride her Monday can't come sooner lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got her finished on Sunday went for quick spin and holy **** it was amazing best ride I have ever had. Here is some pics

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys I had an issue with a stater this afternoon and I couldn't find my vin on the bike i still can't find it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts