KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take a quick ride in the woods near my house today and about midway through a loop that I ride, my battery decided to crap out on me. The bad part is that I was halfway across a creek with water over the footpegs and the battery was almost new. So I finally decide to push it out and I end up pushing it about 3/4 of a mile through the woods over rocks and up hills hoping that I can jump it off somewhere because it's well over another mile home and I'm not about to leave my quad in the woods hoping it's there when I get back with all these meth heads running around here (I left my cell in the garage too like and idiot). So I'm almost out of the woods and I hear quads coming up, a brute force, ltr450 with a loud pipe, and some kind of gocart. The guy with the gocart has some jumper cables just by chance so he jumps me off and while he's hooking them up the guy on the ltr is looking my quad over. He asks me how it compares to his piped/cherry bombed ltr and tell him we'll try them out in a minute (I'm pissed off and exhausted by now so I'm ready to vent). We get out of the woods and onto the road and we go from a roll with me in second...I pull a wheelie for the first 50ft and get him by about 5 lengths in approx. 1/8 of a mile. We go again from a stop and I get him by a good 10 lengths this time.I don't know if the guy can ride or not, I just kept going and never let off and took it to the house. Motor is stock with an HMF slip-on and JD jetting BTW. This is the first electric start bike I've had, previous 4 were kickstart and I'm all for the kicker now if anyone knows where to get a conversion. Battery options are helpful too if there's a certain model everyone is upgrading to.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd like to go kick start with mine as well

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Man I hear ya, I ride by myself 90% of the time and my practice track is at the back of our property aprox. 1/2 mile away from our shop. I can think of plenty of times a kicker woulda came in handy. I cant believe you even pushed it that far, especially through the woods. :blink:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man I hear ya, I ride by myself 90% of the time and my practice track is at the back of our property aprox. 1/2 mile away from our shop. I can think of plenty of times a kicker woulda came in handy. I cant believe you even pushed it that far, especially through the woods. :blink:
I need to take some pictures of the stuff I pushed it through, it was one of the best total body workouts I've ever had. :lol: I really thought I'd be able to jump it off on one of the downhill sections though.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I decided to take a quick ride in the woods near my house today and about midway through a loop that I ride, my battery decided to crap out on me. The bad part is that I was halfway across a creek with water over the footpegs and the battery was almost new. So I finally decide to push it out and I end up pushing it about 3/4 of a mile through the woods over rocks and up hills hoping that I can jump it off somewhere because it's well over another mile home and I'm not about to leave my quad in the woods hoping it's there when I get back with all these meth heads running around here (I left my cell in the garage too like and idiot). So I'm almost out of the woods and I hear quads coming up, a brute force, ltr450 with a loud pipe, and some kind of gocart. The guy with the gocart has some jumper cables just by chance so he jumps me off and while he's hooking them up the guy on the ltr is looking my quad over. He asks me how it compares to his piped/cherry bombed ltr and tell him we'll try them out in a minute (I'm pissed off and exhausted by now so I'm ready to vent). We get out of the woods and onto the road and we go from a roll with me in second...I pull a wheelie for the first 50ft and get him by about 5 lengths in approx. 1/8 of a mile. We go again from a stop and I get him by a good 10 lengths this time.I don't know if the guy can ride or not, I just kept going and never let off and took it to the house. Motor is stock with an HMF slip-on and JD jetting BTW. This is the first electric start bike I've had, previous 4 were kickstart and I'm all for the kicker now if anyone knows where to get a conversion. Battery options are helpful too if there's a certain model everyone is upgrading to.
YTZ7 Yuasa Battery replaces stock perfectly more CCA

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
YTZ7 Yuasa Battery replaces stock perfectly more CCA

I've heard this is a great option for a battery. I have part numbers for putting a kickstart in a KTM. Rath has been putting them in thir outlaws. The only problem I see is finding or making the right kickstart lever to work with the frame.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard this is a great option for a battery. I have part numbers for putting a kickstart in a KTM. Rath has been putting them in thir outlaws. The only problem I see is finding or making the right kickstart lever to work with the frame.
Can you get me the parts list by any chance? Seems like I remember the ktm factory team having kickers, maybe I can figure what lever they use?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Can you get me the parts list by any chance? Seems like I remember the ktm factory team having kickers, maybe I can figure what lever they use?
I have an Excel file I can email to you. There's a shaft you need that Rath's mechanic can get. Other than that, everything else is off the shelf KTM parts. Rath is the only team I've seen with kickers so far.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have an Excel file I can email to you. There's a shaft you need that Rath's mechanic can get. Other than that, everything else is off the shelf KTM parts. Rath is the only team I've seen with kickers so far.

Could you sent that to me as well. I will PM you my email. Thanks in advance
~derik

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is the shaft on the list?, or do you just have to call them and ask for it?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Is that kicker compatible with the 450sx?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did some checking and according to T&K Cycles, they never ran kickers on the factory team because it wasn't possible to convert but he didn't elaborate. I'm assuming it's because of the way the motor sits back in the frame? I guess I'll settle for the larger battery.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Yea, it was easier for Rath to do it on their Outlaws because of the frame design. When I asked Baldwin about a kicker conversion his only concern was the lever hitting the frame. The shaft I talked about wasn't on the list. It was something Rath had made for them but is obtainable.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Yea, it was easier for Rath to do it on their Outlaws because of the frame design. When I asked Baldwin about a kicker conversion his only concern was the lever hitting the frame. The shaft I talked about wasn't on the list. It was something Rath had made for them but is obtainable.
Heck if I could get the shaft I would just draw up a design for the kick lever on AutoCad, but that wouldnt be for a couple months until I actually get my 450sx so I can take measurements. I will pm my email if you could send me the excel file parts list. Im very interested in making this work, to me it is the only thing keeping the sx from being absolutely perfect. B)

Paul

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Heck if I could get the shaft I would just draw up a design for the kick lever on AutoCad, but that wouldnt be for a couple months until I actually get my 450sx so I can take measurements. I will pm my email if you could send me the excel file parts list. Im very interested in making this work, to me it is the only thing keeping the sx from being absolutely perfect. B)

Paul
The parts list I emailed to you was for the XC. I'm not sure if they have a kit for the SX yet.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Just got it, wont be able to look at it until I get home on my other computer. Ill look at it and try to see what it changes it needs. Maybe I will be able to get it going in a few months.
Thanks. :D

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts