KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey to all, im slowly building up my 525xc as a enduro racer. I have got it all pretty much sorted but was wondering about running some 23" fronts and 22" rear maxxis razr 2's.

Keen to know if any others have looked into this yet and if so, how the bike reacts in terms of accceleration and final top speed. i have messed around with the gearing to an extent and got a good improvement over stock, but am hoping that the taller tyres will give me some increased topend.

Cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey to all, im slowly building up my 525xc as a enduro racer. I have got it all pretty much sorted but was wondering about running some 23" fronts and 22" rear maxxis razr 2's.

Keen to know if any others have looked into this yet and if so, how the bike reacts in terms of accceleration and final top speed. i have messed around with the gearing to an extent and got a good improvement over stock, but am hoping that the taller tyres will give me some increased topend.

Cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whoops! I hit the button too quick. Yes going up in tire diameter will increase your gearing. In MX quads that came with 20's I usually went down 1 tooth on the front to compensate for putting on 18's. You will loose some bottom end though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whoops! I hit the button too quick. Yes going up in tire diameter will increase your gearing. In MX quads that came with 20's I usually went down 1 tooth on the front to compensate for putting on 18's. You will loose some bottom end though.
really? i usally go the other way around and go up one tooth in the front and down 2 teeth in the back when going down to 18's. on my 426ex i did that and ran a 16/36 from a stock 15/38 gearing and it had more acceleration and top end then i could had hoped for....i never was ever to find the rev limiter on my aftermarket rev box and it pulled HARD from bottom to top

·
Registered
14 Posts

Cheers
I run the Maxxis 23" front and 22" rear 6-ply tires and they work great. The top end is a lot better and the motor still pulls thru all the gears fine. My top speed is somewhere around 85mph now with the taller tires and stock gearing.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I run the Maxxis 23" front and 22" rear 6-ply tires and they work great. The top end is a lot better and the motor still pulls thru all the gears fine. My top speed is somewhere around 85mph now with the taller tires and stock gearing.

Hope that helps.
Josh you are crazy for running 85 mph on the desert...man that takes some guts...I can't even imagine doing that...

·
Registered
51 Posts
how does it pill the 22s in the very soft sand , im running 15 /37 gearing on 20 in tires and feel that it can easily pull the 22s on the hard pack but not sure about the soft sand?

·
Registered
14 Posts
how does it pill the 22s in the very soft sand , im running 15 /37 gearing on 20 in tires and feel that it can easily pull the 22s on the hard pack but not sure about the soft sand?

It pulles just fine. I even take it to Glamis dunes and ride it with those tires and can still out run most of the other quads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you going up on tire size to prevent high centering? I just got my KTM and noticed that it high centered very easily. I run cross country.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts

Hope that helps.
holy cow, you think your pulling 85mph with taller tires?? i was considering the same tire choice and size as rumxpress for new tires next spring..

the Razr 2's are sick, i'm going up to a 15 tooth front sprocket right now too..

do you think going up a tooth and getting bigger tires will kill my bottom?? i still wanna do 5th gear wheelies

·
Registered
30 Posts
holy cow, you think your pulling 85mph with taller tires?? i was considering the same tire choice and size as rumxpress for new tires next spring..

the Razr 2's are sick, i'm going up to a 15 tooth front sprocket right now too..

do you think going up a tooth and getting bigger tires will kill my bottom?? i still wanna do 5th gear wheelies

larger diam rear tires and a bigger counter shaft sprocket will take bottom end away and increase top end, how much it takes away will depend on how much engine you have. I would try the tires first and then if you didnt notice and loss on the take off try the bigger front sprocket.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
i've already got the sprocket, i'll just have to see how much i notice with that first..

i havent ordered tires yet..i will be this spring for sure though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts