KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 525XC enthusiasts I have made a tough decision... I've thought about this for some time now and have decided that I'm going to leave the 540 and go with a 600cc kit. I had an offer from Travis at Thumper Racing to do this build that will include anything he can think of for mods on the engine to make it run with the best of them out there. I told him I didn't want to lose the dunability of this machine or the reliability, so it will take some creative thinking to come up with the best of both worlds. As for the dunability I think it will mainly be with the swing arm length. The reliability will be up to Travis and his engine building ability, which is second to none out there. So please let your imagination flow and give me your thoughts. I will answere any questions I can as some of the parts and pieces are a little bit fuzzy to me yet. This build should be done by the middle of Jan so as it comes along I will keep those interested posted.

Brian

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
That was an offer too good to miss. I read about it over on the other forum. If I wasn't half way around the world I would have jumped on it.

Don't supose you want to sell your 540 kit?

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
how about a 690 SMR motor? lol i cant wait till someone tries that itll be so sick

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well 525XC enthusiasts I have made a tough decision... I've thought about this for some time now and have decided that I'm going to leave the 540 and go with a 600cc kit. I had an offer from Travis at Thumper Racing to do this build that will include anything he can think of for mods on the engine to make it run with the best of them out there. I told him I didn't want to lose the dunability of this machine or the reliability, so it will take some creative thinking to come up with the best of both worlds. As for the dunability I think it will mainly be with the swing arm length. The reliability will be up to Travis and his engine building ability, which is second to none out there. So please let your imagination flow and give me your thoughts. I will answere any questions I can as some of the parts and pieces are a little bit fuzzy to me yet. This build should be done by the middle of Jan so as it comes along I will keep those interested posted.

Brian

I'm thinking about getting the KTM 540 kit but am wondering if it is worth it? Do you have any ballpark figures on horsepower and torque gains? Also, I like an engine that revs and am a little concerned that with a larger piston I will be trading revs for torque. Does the 540 rev as quickly and as high as the 525? Any comments are appreciate before I spend 0.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can tell you that it was very well worth the money for me I love the 540. I run the dunes here in SoCal 99% of the time and there is no such thing as to much power in the sand. I don't have any actual numbers on the hp and tq gains except the seat of the pants gains were huge. LTZ 470 can attest to the performance of my quad. I added the 806 cam and had the head race P&P'ed by Moto Headz Racing with the big Kibble White S/S valves, springs, and titanium retainers installed. I also installed a case vent valve on it to eliminate the crank case pressure and create a vacuum in the crank case to help with ring seal and stop any oil leackage.

Brian

·
Registered
579 Posts
Screw a bored out carb and just Microsquirt it :p 46mm throttle body from a DS450 should do the trick

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If only I could make THAT work!!!

Brian

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to use my head for obvious reasons, but I don't know what Travis wants to do yet. He wants to measure it out to see if it will work for the build he is planning. If so we will go with it, if not then I will obviously have to go with a new head. You got some plans out there somewhere?

Brian

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The quad has been delivered to Travis at Thumper Racing for the build. I should be getting it back mid January. I will let you know which magazine and when it will be featured.

Brian

·
Registered
579 Posts
If only I could make THAT work!!!

Brian
What do you mean if you could make that work??? There have been a few people that have gotten it running and running well on single cylinder engines.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Show me the MONEY!!! I'm running a money pit sprint car race team, a money pit mad duner quad, and a shoe less family. HAHAHA!!! Not really, my family all has shoes, but you get the picture! I will have around 20,000 invested in the quad alone when it is done. Thanks for the encouragment though every idea is a great idea especially if we can make it work.

Brian

·
Registered
579 Posts
Show me the MONEY!!! I'm running a money pit sprint car race team, a money pit mad duner quad, and a shoe less family. HAHAHA!!! Not really, my family all has shoes, but you get the picture! I will have around 20,000 invested in the quad alone when it is done. Thanks for the encouragment though every idea is a great idea especially if we can make it work.

Brian
Oh I gotcha & understand.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to Travis on Friday and he has the lightened crankshaft in hand so it looks like a couple of weeks and the 600 engine will be complete. It ought to be fun.

Brian

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It should be an awesome set up. I think I'm going to go with a plus 4 swinger but will know a little more once I get it in the dunes.

Brian

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Very cool!
Travis told me about this the other day.
It will be a runner!
We are building one just like that right now for a customer as well.
I really like that sized engine in these bikes.
Id stick with no longer than +4. I have noticed that the KTM's need a little less arm than the other builds. For instance ours has power levels that point to a +10 and it at least 2 inches too long. Just blows out the tires.
Good luck, you will be happy.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 600XC is home and boys it's quick! This thing is going to Glamis on Sunday to see how it runs in the sand. I will try to determin what length of swing arm I'm going to go with I'm thinking +2 or 3". More to follow on this thing soon.

Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts