KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my ktm but the durabilty is starting to be a problem. I am thinking I might go back to the hated jap quads but the power and handling of the jap stuff sucks. This quad is the best for about a year then it seems it starts to go down hill from there. I need some reinsurance that everything is going to be ok and I should keep this. If not I might go get a can-am or yamaha.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My XC has been really durable. It seems to have less problems than the jap quads I ride with.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Dan what kinda problems are you having, im picking up 450xc tomorrow, now you got me worried.

I know the feeling. Picking mine up this week also, started seeing all these posts about frame and swingarm issues, starting to worry also. I know all this stuff is fixable, gussetable, or there is or will be an aftermarket fix, however to spend this kind of money on a machine with no warranty that is having a lot of issues is a little scary. My ltr has taken a beating for almost 3 years without any problems-ice raced, xc raced, and mx raced. The only thing was a bent stock axle..I just hope the engine holds up well in these ktm's. Also hope a different intake system is available soon as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the motor Is strong. Keep fresh oil in it and don't do any mods to the motor and it will last a long it. It just seem like little thing just keep braking on this thing. You will want to watch your tie rod end, ball joints, steering bushing, and where the stem bolts to the frame. It is a great quad and the best out there but needs alittle more work then the jap stuff. Look at it this way, ktm is a race quad and the jap stuff are trail quads.

·
Registered
430 Posts
the motor Is strong. Keep fresh oil in it and don't do any mods to the motor and it will last a long it. It just seem like little thing just keep braking on this thing. You will want to watch your tie rod end, ball joints, steering bushing, and where the stem bolts to the frame. It is a great quad and the best out there but needs alittle more work then the jap stuff. Look at it this way, ktm is a race quad and the jap stuff are trail quads.

I had the same problem with the steering stem, i swapped out the whole thing for an 09 set up. Much better seals on the bushing. Seems to be working fine.

I know what your talking about with the little stuff breaking. I did the same thing when i fist got mine, little stuff like the axel nut comming loose and a-arm bushings. But hang in there, KTM knows and there replacements are getting better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hang in there, even the ever solid Jap bikes have problems when they come out and usually the first 2 years (e.g. Raptor 2001 tranny issues). I have seen the 09 are already better than the 08 so count on KTM doing their homework and making things better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts