KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm pretty new to the form lol, I did my thing this year with my bone stock 450sx, did pretty well, got 2 intermediate championships and a pro amateur one:D

Now, after my first season with the 450sx, I ask for some tips and tricks for next season.

I got sponsored by Elka, and the stage fives I ordered arrived right after the first day of snow here... :(

So, tore the bike down, did a general frame inspection, painted the frame ktm gold, and shimmed the valves.

Here's my post season problems:

1: After my last race, quad won't idle. It ran fine, but just can't idle. I cleaned the jets, checked the valves, and changed the spark plug with no luck. Still no idle
2: Engine seems to run very hot, and blows huge clouds of smoke sometimes upon start up
3: Oil gets fouled particularily fast, I assume it's clutch plates.
4: Now engine fires up, will not idle, and puffs a bit of smoke from the exhaust even after it's warm.
5: Oil leaking out of exhaust header where it meets the engine, drip drip drip
6: Clutch sticks hardcore until completely warmed up
7: Not enough ladies dig my color scheme of blue, gold, orange

So can you guys here on the forum help me out for next season? What are some mods to get rid of these problems? Repairs needed? Pick up lines for ladies?

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Alot of your problems are from overfilling with oil. Make sure no fuller than half way up the sight glass when warm. Honda clutch plates, hd springs and high volume water pump will help the fouled oil and running hot issue. I think your clutch will be slipping and causing extra heat and crap in the oil. What oil are you using?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get a motor builder sponsor?

Change your colors for the ladies?

Forget the ladies or you won't have enough money or time to race and put into your quad trust me on this one!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
scotts not kidding! i agree with sticko on the oil being much of the problem. assuming it is overfull anyways. i noticed that my clutch sticks more in the cold than when its hot out. i let it warm up more in the cold too, but still harder. then after the first shift it is fine. plates might be getting warped if it is a lot harder than before to shift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!
I use Amsoil 20/50 full synthetic.
Also, it still won't idle.
I'm pretty sure my rings are gone , as now it just smokes all the time.

What should I do for mods? Cams? Rod? Crank? Port+polish? Power Bowl? High flow water pump? Honda clutch plates, HD springs?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
where is the oil level at on the window? if its burning it all the time it could still be just overfull.

it might not be a bad idea to replace piston anyways depending on how much time you think you have on it. 40 hours is basically time for these as the manual says. after that the chance of cracking the piston basically isnt worth it to keep running it to save money as in the long run it will eventually crack and could fold and blow your motor apart.......

i would say forget the powerbowl and send your carb to walt on here. fast64ranchero ... his mods do more than just making the stock bowl a powerbowl... he does other mods to carb is what im saying... worth every penny and then some even if you have to send from canada. its also not a bad idea to get the carb vent line filter.

i would forget about the cams. stock cams are pretty nice power delivery. if you do anything else it losses quite a bit on the bottom end. especially without high compression and porting.

stock cranks are fine. just do the rod and bearing the first time you have to open up the bottom end. thats what i am doing anyway.

porting adds horsepower but there a much better mods for your money, if interested talk to KTM BILL on here he can hook you up along with several other companies.

definitely do the high flow water pump.

stock clutch baskets can be an issue, and will eventually explode. i would recommend changing this out with a good quality hinson basket, i think wiseco and maybe pro-x does a basket? probably others too. honda plates and hd springs are a for sure mod too.

honestly to make the power thing easier for you... heres my opinion on the best mods for power and overall ride-ability...
1- walts carb
2- ktm bills pipe
3- high compression piston
4- more carb work if you want... bore etc. might as well have walt do it at the same time if you plan on having it done.
5- porting

also the 2010 intake stiffener supposedly does the same power as a fci intake.

feel free to add on this, just my input...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again,
I did a compression test last night, and got 58psi LOL
I think I will do a high compression piston with those carb mods and maybe get it ported
Plus the plates , HD springs, and high flow water pump

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
um... yea. if you have a lot of hours on it id guess your piston is already cracked. your rings would have to be SHOT to get that. also, your valves could be tight to get it to read that low... but assuming they are good you need to open that baby up!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Definitely get a hinson or weisco clutch basket,the oem baskets have failed a number of times.Especially if you're going to add more power..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts