KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First race of the year, during practice I sucked sand right into the engine. Bike started smoking like crazy, and then shut down. What am I looking at for damage?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not sure what you would of damaged,but I'm thinking from the crank and up would have to be rebuilt,and take the whole engine taking apart and cleaned, just depends how deep it got I guess, sx or xc? I'm in grande prairie, I might be able to find u an engine if u need one right away

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's all stock, only 5 hours on it. Bike billowed huge amount of smoke and lost all power in about 30 seconds. I'm from Fort St. John, I'm dropping the bike off at the dealer here tomorrow. How much would a 450sx engine be if you could get it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My stock filter did the same thing, wasnt seated and sucked in some dirt 2 times. Luckily I check it often and found it quickly. I am now going with a FCI intake

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's all stock, only 5 hours on it. Bike billowed huge amount of smoke and lost all power in about 30 seconds. I'm from Fort St. John, I'm dropping the bike off at the dealer here tomorrow. How much would a 450sx engine be if you could get it?
If I can still get it, he wanted 2500 for it a few months ago,has 20 hours,hasn't been raced,comes with carb, I had to rebuild my whole top end before(broke a valve) and it was gonna cost me close to 3000 for all new ktm oem parts,con rod/piston/head/valves

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would do a quick compression check, & check the carb.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
does the dealer have a good reputation? if not you would be better off to use a home mechanic that will take his time or another good reputation shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be awesome if you could get ahold of that engine, but hopefully the damage isnt so bad that I have to resort to buying a whole new engine. So there's nothing wrong with the engine? Just curious. I'm guess the damage on mine includes; cylinder, piston, rings, valves, maybe head.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That would be awesome if you could get ahold of that engine, but hopefully the damage isnt so bad that I have to resort to buying a whole new engine. So there's nothing wrong with the engine? Just curious. I'm guess the damage on mine includes; cylinder, piston, rings, valves, maybe head.
I just txt him, he already sold it :( if u end up just needing the top end,look for a 450sx dirt bike engine they are easier to find and the whole top end is the same,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts