KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as some of you know...my quad blew up this fall...it was a sad day :(

but KTM is giving me all free parts so props to them since my machine isn't under warrenty..i'm just gonna have to pay labor and my dealer told me it wont be too steep...anyways

i was considering re-gearing my machine for more Top end, maybe in the 80-85 MPH range..

i most likely wont be running these speeds but i ride at 70 mph or more all the time when i'm out ditch riding with buddies, i'm considering re-gearing so i'm not running such high RPM's trying to keep up with my buddies on their raptor 700's

so any ideas on what would be the most reliable thing i can do to accomplish this? sprocket sizes?

and will gearing it for that much top end drastically affect my bottom? anything recommendations would be great :)

also.........i heard a rumor about rims, a guy told me YFZ450's have the same bolt pattern as the front of the XC machines and TRX450's have the same bolt pattern as the rear of the XC machines..

is this true? i'm thinkin about finding an extra set of rims this winter

·
Registered
236 Posts

but KTM is giving me all free parts so props to them since my machine isn't under warrenty..i'm just gonna have to pay labor and my dealer told me it wont be too steep...anyways

i was considering re-gearing my machine for more Top end, maybe in the 80-85 MPH range..

i most likely wont be running these speeds but i ride at 70 mph or more all the time when i'm out ditch riding with buddies, i'm considering re-gearing so i'm not running such high RPM's trying to keep up with my buddies on their raptor 700's

so any ideas on what would be the most reliable thing i can do to accomplish this? sprocket sizes?

and will gearing it for that much top end drastically affect my bottom? anything recommendations would be great :)

also.........i heard a rumor about rims, a guy told me YFZ450's have the same bolt pattern as the front of the XC machines and TRX450's have the same bolt pattern as the rear of the XC machines..

i believe your correct on the rim sizes

·
Registered
592 Posts
You're right on the rim sizes. I think stock Honda and Suzuki rims for the rear fit fine, but I believe stock Yamaha fronts might rub due to the different offset. Seems like another site member tried it and had trouble.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Yes, stock Yamaha rims have about 1/2" too much offset to the inside.
I put a set on and did a nice job of machining the inside out with my top ball joint.
I think the standards are 5 1/2" where the aftermarket rims are 5". Any aftermarket yamaha rim will be OK.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Don't know if this helps any, but I have a mate here that runs a 540 kit. Gearing is 15/36. Running 20" rears this thing pulls some serious top end.
A 525 with the same gearing is going to loose a fair bit off the bottom.
It is just going to be a trial and error thing. Try a 15 front before changing the rear and take it from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I am running a 15 on the front and lost very little on the bottom. I have to start in first now because it wont pull second well from a dead stop. Top end speed is alot better. Good luck

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man, did the 15 tooth work with the stock chain? i figured since my whole quad is tore to pieces they mise well change the sprocket when they put it back together

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks carlock, i'm pretty sure i'll put a 15 tooth front sprocket on while there rebuilding it

thanks for the info guys

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i went to my dealer today, i decided i'm gonna get a 15 tooth for the front..if thats not enough for me then i might drop a tooth in the rear, guess we'll see what happens..thanks for the info again

later

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah the 15 tooth does fit in there with the KTM case saver, i found that the chain just rubbed on the case saver. So i filed a few mm off the top and bottom of the case saver just to save the chain from wearing and failing.

Im still in the hunt for top end speed, with a 15 tooth front, a 36 tooth rear it will pull it ok, after a jet kit and akrapovic pipe. Admitedly not as fast as standard acceleration but enough to still put a smile on ya face. The top speeds were about 8kmp/h difference. One thing to note as well, in soft sand/ creek beds etc, with a 36 rear it does feel a bit doughey, i found it didnt have the punch to pull as good as the std 38 rear. But, on the hard pack it will fly.

Apparently if you bolt up a set of 22" rear tyres with a 15 tooth front you get some serious speed out of it. But, i just came back from an enduro race and i was able to smoke 700 raptors with 22" rears down the rivers and soft stuff, they didnt have to balls to pull top cog in the softer sand. So that may be an issue aswell.

I heard a rumour that honda rear sprokets will fit on a KTM, i dont know if this is true or not but that would open up a lot more options for part suppliers.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they havent started rebuilding my quad yet..i'll have to make sure the chain isn't rubbing on the case saver with the 15 tooth front sprocket

i'm just looking for a few more MPH..i wasnt planning on dropping in the rear..i could to 22 inch rears and 23 inch fronts but i'll see

thanks for the info on the case saver

1 - 15 of 15 Posts