KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I think most on here have the same problem, the exhaust leaks at the head and causes the bike to back fire, I fixed mine a few days ago, seems to still be fine after a hard day of racing, the way I fixed it was I removed the pipe from the bike, (gotta love KTM for making an exhaust you have to pull the rear shock to remove) after you get the pipe out of the bike remove about 1/8" of the female flange on the pipe, this is the part of the pipe that slides over the male part on the head, what this does is allow the tappered flange on the pipe to mate with the male flange on the head, I used my cut off saw but a grinder would work, I put it all back together with a little high temp RTV on the outside of the male head flange, done no more leaks no more back firing!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
OK I think most on here have the same problem, the exhaust leaks at the head and causes the bike to back fire, I fixed mine a few days ago, seems to still be fine after a hard day of racing, the way I fixed it was I removed the pipe from the bike, (gotta love KTM for making an exhaust you have to pull the rear shock to remove) after you get the pipe out of the bike remove about 1/8" of the female flange on the pipe, this is the part of the pipe that slides over the male part on the head, what this does is allow the tappered flange on the pipe to mate with the male flange on the head, I used my cut off saw but a grinder would work, I put it all back together with a little high temp RTV on the outside of the male head flange, done no more leaks no more back firing!!!
I just put some high temp RTV on mine but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. If it doesn't work I may try your solution, but I'm wondering if it creates alignment problems with the headpipe and muffler mounts? In a few months I plan on getting the Akrapovic header--I've already got the silencer--so I hope that fixes it if all else fails.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I asked the dealer to do this with my exhaust when they did the warranty work on the motor and the popping is gone, i have fmf slippon and there is no alignment problem.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
In a few months I plan on getting the Akrapovic header--I've already got the silencer--so I hope that fixes it if all else fails.
how do you find the Akrapovic muffler, good power gains ??? low , mid , top ???

·
Registered
315 Posts
how do you find the Akrapovic muffler, good power gains ??? low , mid , top ???

I wrote a review of it elsewhere on this site--see Akrapovic exhaust review. In short, I am very happy with it. The most noticable gain was on the bottom end. That is where the stock system seems especially corked up, but you'll also notice gains all around. The silencer is super light, the workmanship is top notch, and it looks sweet. I will eventually get the header, but the silencer is such an improvement over stock I'm not sure if I can expect much more in performance gains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts