KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the 525. I was riding out at the dunes yesterday and stopped on a pretty steep down hill spot, nose first, and turned the quad off to check out the view. Upon starting it back up the engine spit some oil out on the exhaust and it was smoking like crazy out of the exhaust. I immediatly shut it down and coasted down to the bottom of the dune. I then started it back up and cleared it out, no problems. Can anyone explain what might of happened. I did find a melted hose on the side of the carb where it must of hit the exaust. I rode it the rest of yesterday and today no issues at all. It makes me nervous now everytime that I start it up. If anyone knows what might of happened please let me know so that I can try to prevent it from happening again. Oh by the way these bikes rip up the dunes.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked at the site glass and the site glass is full I dont see any gap in it. I was just thinking that the engine may have too much oil in it. I just changed the oil and I thought that the book said it took two of the Motor X quarts. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have a question about the 525. I was riding out at the dunes yesterday and stopped on a pretty steep down hill spot, nose first, and turned the quad off to check out the view. Upon starting it back up the engine spit some oil out on the exhaust and it was smoking like crazy out of the exhaust. I immediatly shut it down and coasted down to the bottom of the dune. I then started it back up and cleared it out, no problems. Can anyone explain what might of happened. I did find a melted hose on the side of the carb where it must of hit the exaust. I rode it the rest of yesterday and today no issues at all. It makes me nervous now everytime that I start it up. If anyone knows what might of happened please let me know so that I can try to prevent it from happening again. Oh by the way these bikes rip up the dunes.
Thats crazy. Mine did the same thing the day I bought it. I took it to the dealer and they said it was overfull from ktm. they drained and filled it and no problems since. Mine was 600ml over. WTF ktm. LOL It is pulling up the crank case breather through the carb and out the exhaust. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that I had heard that before somewhere. I bet when I changed the oil I put too much back in it.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Thats true man...and that could damage the engine very seriously. The mechanics at the dealers are messing up :angry:
Just a heads up: engine hot (1 min after shut it down)-> oil level reaches middle of the viewer. A little bit above middle is not problematic.
Engine cold -> oil level reaches bottom of the viewer.

Oil was being sucked through the crank breather hose into the admission...

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I read further into the manual about checking the oil level. It should be halfway up the site glass. Well I believe I found the issue I have too much oil in the engine. So here is my next question, how much oil does the 525 take? I put the recommended amount in and its too much. If someone could let me know that would be awesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok so I read further into the manual about checking the oil level. It should be halfway up the site glass. Well I believe I found the issue I have too much oil in the engine. So here is my next question, how much oil does the 525 take? I put the recommended amount in and its too much. If someone could let me know that would be awesome.
as your filling it watch the site glass!!!!stop when it gets to the middle,run engine about 30 sec. and check DONE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats funny because the same exact thing happened to my brand new 09 outlaw 525 S. It was a really really steep down hill and I was like whats that smell LOL. I wasnt to concerned because i knew from reading up on all this stuff what had happened. Oh yeah it was right from the dealer ship. To funny LOL!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Two liters is too much. I use something like 1.5. My local knowledge ktm racer guy said its important to fill these engines so you just see the level show on the bottom of the window. After it warms up it goes more to half way up the window.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's nothing toworry about. Let me guess you stopped on the dune with the bike facing downhillcorrect? You did say the hill was very steep. What happens it the tranny sumpis open to the crank sump and if the motor is facing down and forward at asteep angle and stopped the oil from the tranny migrates into the crank andfills up the space around the counter balancer and will also migrate into thevent hose when the motor is stooped. The counterbalancer acts as a centrifugewhich keeps the oil from getting into the breather line when the motor isrunning but when the motor is stopped it doesn’t do anything. Then when youstart the motor some of the oil in the sump as well as what migrated into thehose gets pumped into the carb through the breather hose (it's still attachedto the carb isn't it?) once the oil hits the carb you burn it and out the pipesmoke happens. The smoking cleared after a minute or so didn't it?

The oil level has very little to do with this problem unless you grosslyoverfill the sump. With the quad level you should have an oil level when cold 1/8-1/4 up from the bottom of the site glass.

PS this same thing happens to the bikes all the time especially when going downhilland the bike gets laid on it's right side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts