KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 polaris outlaw 450 mxr bought used put a lot of time and money into it had horrible over heating problem fixed with mino water pump haven't been over 195 degrees since but around same time started getting a loud knock figured the pump was just hitting maybe I didn't file down enoughthis went on for weeks ... We'll I started having issues starting wasn't cranking just sounded like a fan every know and then but would eventually crank and start this went on for around a week .. Today I was riding had troubles starting when I did I was gone rode about 3 miles was in 5th was 1/2 throttle going over whoops next thing I know I lose power then quad shuts off. When I try to restart nothing just a click ... Could this be a loose crank nut and or flywheel issue or do u think my engines locked up

·
Registered
880 Posts
The rod or main bearing most like the big rod end bearing if its a knocking stop riding it that is why it was over heating bearing going bad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx bill Ron Paul of Wilson racing picked it up yesterday quad still hasn't cranked it's definitley locked up The oil leaking was actually coming from the rear shock hopefully just a bearing and not completley blown he said for the rebuild if the crank is bad I'm looking at 3000 with labor worst case scenario is this a fair price?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had my big end rod bearing go out on mine and had the motor rebuilt back to the way it was (450, 12.5:1 comp piston, stock everything else) which required a new cylinder, piston, crank, gaskets, filters, etc and I had all the seals and 2 transmission gears replaced and it cost $2,600 with labor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2600 would be great I will find out a definite quote today or tommorow when he opens it up and sees what all needs done was ur rebuild done at a performance shop?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Its funny you ask, because its the one and only time anyone besides Baldwin has touched my motor but no I had my local KTM dealer do the work. For me it was about time and convenience rather than money, I'll admit that I was nervous, but other than over tightening my oil drain plug the motor has been mint since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just recieved the call the engines a mess it was thrown together for sale only one oil pump jacked up but usuable case vcranks bad missing parts I got fucked by craigslist my quote was 3500 for engine rebuild and rear shock rebuild ever thing stock except a ktm racing cam so I'm just having it towed home and gonna save up for a new to me quad probly a trx 450r I'll eventually get this outlaw fixed

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Look in the for sale section, there is a guy with a brand new 450 engine for sale for $2200, not rebuilt, brand new factory crate engine. It's under the listing "Motor and 505 tires and rims for sale"

·
Registered
65 Posts
the ktm 450xc and 525xc motors are the exact same. the 525 is a "factory bigbore kit" basically. So the only difference is a bigger piston and cylinder. the polaris mxr 450 should also be the exact same minus minor details (different colored case covers on the sides). if you start looking for motors watch out for the Polaris 525 independent rear suspension becaus it is different than all the others for mounting locations, but only the 2008 version

heres what will work

2008-2010 ktm 450xc or 525xc
2008 polaris 450mxr or 525 outlaws straight axle
2009-2010 polaris 450mxr or 525 outlaws with independent rear or straight axle rear

·
Registered
65 Posts
did that guy sell that ktm 450 motor from the post?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a hold of him and exchanged info what would be the safest way to make this transaction via internet I've only dealt with eBay or Amazon

·
Registered
65 Posts
i would only do a paypal transaction as far as the money goes,not really sure how to make sure he will ship it forsure tho. i think paypal has some type of protection to prevent that from happening. example, he send you a paypal invoice and you pay but he wont receive money for like 3 days. im not exactly sure because i never buy like that. but check in to it and i would use paypal no matter what for transferring funds

1 - 20 of 22 Posts