KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just wondering how u guys like it I've herd good and bad i wanna use it i just dont want it to hurt anything let me no how it works for u thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
i used it for a bit. never hurt anything. not sure if it really cooled any better though. decided walmart prestone 50/50 premix was good enough and its cheaper and easier to obtain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good on another forum guys said they have had problems with it but u guys would no best so i am going to go with it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wont hurt anything if i go with 55 water and 45 enginr ice will it cause i might have to

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
you don't mix engine ice. just pour it in no mixing with water or it could Chrystal some. and you can't use any other coolant as additive or else it can Chrystal up, so make sure you always have it on hand. Thats why i preferred the prestone.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've read it freezes in the winter. I emptied mine out put in water

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah water or antifreeze works the best imo... I used zip-ty coolant and wasn't real impressed with it.. Didnt really notice any difference...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i cant add alittle bit of distilled water cause i on accident ordered 2.05 quarts of engine ice when in my manual it says that it takes 2.20 to fill it all the way up

·
Registered
176 Posts
No dont do that... it will cause the engine ice to gel up and crystallize.. I think it says on the side of the bottle to not add water also...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Quality product,I use it in my quad and street bike.No issues whatsoever.Just gotta flush the cooling system well of all old coolant before adding.I usually flush twice with DI water before adding Engine Ice.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Engine ice pushes up the boiling point, so good from that perspective.

possible not quite as good in really cold environments as 100% antifreeze.

over on ktm talk there was discussions that for desert use it doesn't pull the heat out as good as deionised water with water wetter, whilst it has a higher boiling point it doesn't actually pull heat as good as water............

I run it in my machines but thinking of going to water wetter / deionised water for summer. the KTM hold more heat in the engine due to the oil in the engine cases design rather than an external oil tank like some of the competition

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info can i run 93 oct with one octane booster per 2 gallons would i be good with that and how much would it bring it up to? I have 13 to 1 compression is why im asking and i normally run race gas 50/50 mix but its way cheaper and alot easier to mix if i could just go with octane booster

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some ones gotta be able to tell me something about 93 with octane booster

·
Registered
176 Posts
Octane booster is a waste of money IMO..... Ive been told by several people there is only a select few you can buy that actually work, and they are more expensive. That wally world shit is a load of crap ... And if you are going to spend $10+ a bottle you might as well mix race gas 50/50... This is all what Alan at CT racing told me.... I found this awhile back, idk if it even works (i probably wouldn't try it)...I just got a chuckle out of it..lol

Homebrew Octane Boosters Richard Lassiter's "How to Mix Your Own Brew"
FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.
FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.
FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.
FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.
FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.
MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):
100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts