KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to give you guys a warning Engine Ice will freeze, and yes I just found out the hard way. My 613 froze and it pushed a head gasket and maybe some more damage. I will tear it down and check the cylinder bore for roundness and have the cylinder and head pressure tested. So if you guys use this product and live in a cold area please check it or change it out for the winter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
how cold does it have to get for this to happen? It was -3°F in MI a few weeks back... hope that didn't do it. I run it in all of my machines...

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Wow, I've used engine ice for several years in my ice racing machines. Never had problems, but I noticed my jug of xtra Engine Ice got slushy. Since I've been using Maxima coolinal. I wouldn't have thought that would freeze hard enough to push out gaskets, thanks for the warning.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I just wanted to give you guys a warning Engine Ice will freeze, and yes I just found out the hard way. My 613 froze and it pushed a head gasket and maybe some more damage. I will tear it down and check the cylinder bore for roundness and have the cylinder and head pressure tested. So if you guys use this product and live in a cold area please check it or change it out for the winter.
wow that is good info to know... i started mine the other day for the first time in many months and everything seemed ok.

please keep us up on what you find!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just checked the Engine Ice label and it says "Freeze Protection" down to - 26 F. Yes, that is minus.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not looking good. The piston is at TDC and it wont slide down and out of the cylinder. I think the ice broke the cylinder below the piston. I think I will have to break or cut the cylinder off the piston. Now I just hope I dont bend the rod or fill the crank case with metal. On the bright side the head looks ok so far.

I will never use anything but 50/50 Zerex in all my machines.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a similar product to Engine Ice (I forget the name), but it says right on the bottle that it does not offer any freeze protection. It freezes right around 32 degrees like water. I think mine might be the water wetter, but I don't remember.
I never used this stuff, because in Northern WI It'd freeze to cement.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a similar product to Engine Ice (I forget the name), but it says right on the bottle that it does not offer any freeze protection. It freezes right around 32 degrees like water. I think mine might be the water wetter, but I don't remember.
I never used this stuff, because in Northern WI It'd freeze to cement.
If it's Water Wetter it is NOT an anti-freeze!!! It helps the water disipate heat better to keep the engine running cooler only.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts