KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about.
Wrong. All the engine components have a break-in time, even the most advanced engine doesn't escape this. That explains for itself why the manual says you have to ride it carefully the first hours.

Also hard break in makes the engine an "oil burner" and will loose power earlier in it's life compared to other engine that break in was properly done.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wrong. All the engine components have a break-in time, even the most advanced engine doesn't escape this. That explains for itself why the manual says you have to ride it carefully the first hours.

Also hard break in makes the engine an "oil burner" and will loose power earlier in it's life compared to other engine that break in was properly done.
I posted for this reason...Bronson and I have had this discussion and we have both found that at one time or another we didn't give an engine a proper break-in and just started ripping on a race built engine from the git-go only to find that it didn't hurt the longevity of the engine at all...so it does make sense in some cases, not saying all...
I usually give an engine two tanks of fuel on a Quad and I gave my RZR one tank of fuel at max 3/4 throttle and maybe a couple of times I hit full throttle only momentarily...
My Quads and my RZR all run great without any tranny or engine problems...no oil usage and they will run with any engine that is of the same setup out there...so there has to be some truth in the seating of the rings...
I think if you were to just idle around on and engine during break-in you could "possibly" cause a glaze on the cylinder walls and rings and not get a good "seat-in" on the rings...
So while not saying you should absolutely rip on a new engine...using alternating throttle positions but still pushing the engine to 3/4 throttle and even full throttle momentarily is a good way to break it in...
The only tranny problems I have ever seen on any Quad was too much hook up on the rear tires...I ran some 10 paddle Taller Haulers drag racing and chipped a tooth in third gear on my LTZ470....splitting cases is not one of my favorite jobs if you know what I mean!!
Bronson is probably the expert and can give some good direction on break-in...

Let's hear from everyone else what their thoughts are?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.