KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weve had a terrible rash of injuries among my close friends these past few weeks, with aaron(see previous thread) my friend cody breaking his ankle because he didnt have heal guards, he wouldnt let the medics cut his sg12s or his TLD pants, hes got a plate and a bunch of screws now. As well as my teammate jay, his SX hit a false neutral on teh lip of a double and nosedived, he bailed, landed on his face and was run over by both his quad and the rider behind him, hes dealing with a bad concussion. As for me i managed to further damage my knee a while back but nothing recently, im awful nervous coming into our nationals this weekend

· Registered
147 Posts
I know how you feel man, I lost a friend last fall while out riding. But you REALLY gotta think positive. When that doubt creeps in your head it makes the worst come to fruition. Think right do right... I'm sure you got every orange rider here wishing the best for you! Keep kicking ass out there man, I always enjoy reading up on how everyone does @ the races

· Registered
1,210 Posts
As a reality check, this is a known risk going into racing. Its horrible, and i wish it onto noone, but this is the exact reason I personally don't race. I value my health more than anything, because you can't ever get your health back once its lost or damaged. Take care of yourself, and do what you love, but be safe doing it.

In my line of work, I see wayyyyy too many bad accidents, and it has made an impression on my perspective that noone can change. I'm a Mortician, so let that speak for itself! :(

· Registered
1,528 Posts
yea, a +10 on the never getting back your health, i ephed up my left lower leg tendon last fall building a barn... to hold my quad of all things, i was ephed up all winter, what happened is i had lifted a slab of t1-11 type siding, but the stuff i had was premium, like about 70-80 lbs per sheet, i had it lifted with only my left foot, and trying to nail, quite a few sheets were fine, then one sheet i had an issue with nailing, took longer, lifted really hard to give another try, and the sheet kept slowly falling, didnt think anything of it, well, teh next day, i could barely walk, turns out i partially tore it, had to let it heal, its still not 100%, but abiout 85-90, so i guess its ok, i can at least shift now, and run mostly, still afraid to stress it overly.

as for the racing thing, such is life, if you love life, and love racing, and racing is your life, its just a chance.

p.s. i wish i was a mortician, in all honestly, i think it would be a really interesting line of work, with pretty good pay... just i was told it takes about as much education as a dr... and this was by my p.a. aunt...

i find death and causes fascinating, and oddly enough, have showered in a morgue, and found the most interesting things in it, like fetus's in the many stages of development in jars, a 2 headed snake that bit a person, and so on so forth...

really, its quite interesting.

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i lost a friend to the sport 2 years ago, and ive seen many of my friends get hurt but lately it just seems like my little group of friends are the ones getting hurt, i missed my second moto on sunday to gosait in the hospital and wait for news on jay, i had no intention of going back on the track that day.

i think its just that everyones been riding so well and it seems like every time you lok theyre pushing themselves to go faster, its great because the improvement in the riding is huge but when you screw up its big trouble

· Registered
446 Posts
yeah.. i know what you are saying.. i love racing.. but i wont move out of intermediate..i have two kids and dont want to leave them without a dad.. so i race where i am comfortable not where i am pushing myself so hard that if i mess up( which will happen) i dont kill myslef.. i know its stilla risk.. i dont ride slow.. but i just lowered the chances

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im gonna step up to pro for next year, the thing with pro is alot of the goons are gone and its all good riders so its safer

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i knew it, teh weekend after i made this post i came up shotrt on an 85 footer, tore all teh lugaments in my heel, aircast for 3 weeks and im still limping on it. but at least i can still ride

· Registered
1,210 Posts
yuck

· Registered
1,528 Posts
bummer dude... got aflack lol, just making a joke out of a serious situation..

i have full coverage on my quad, and myself, and have accident plan just so if i eph up i at least get some helo out of it...

sucks when it happens. hope you recover fully, had abud on a gsxr1k that broke the handlebars off with his knee, he still isn't right over 1.5 yrs after, he just had an appt, brought in the bar, the mri when he was first bought in, just to try to figure out what is still going on...

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well luckily canada has free health care or i'd really be in the hole, i chipped my kneecap playing hockey alomst a year ago and it still hurts, i cant wear knee braces because i cant get them on

· Registered
49 Posts
Crashing sucks, getting hurt bad sucks more. I had my first crash Sept long. Been racing since 01. always try to ride smart and never above my head. It happens. Had a choice of crashing myself or taking someone else with me, went for the solo. 80 ft tripple, had to hang a left off the face and ended up 2 ft short and 1 ft too far to the left with no broken bones but a lot of internal injuries. Its tough to face, but I know the why and the what happened. Now its just waiting for the healing, and hoping I can come back 100% and that insurance comes through, heli's aren't cheap. Hope everyone heals up this off season!

· Registered
91 Posts
Yea I was out for most of the season this year, I was able to run the last month. I came up short on a double also. Broke my femur in one spot, shattered it in another, had internal bleeding, and tore both my tricep and bicep muscles in my right arm. Had surgery to put in a titanium rod from my knee to my hip, two plates, four screws, and 38 staples. The spot where I broke and shattered my femur, measured exactly to the size of the front bumper. When the quad cart wheeled it came straight down on my leg. Only possible conclusion we came up with. But everyone heal and go back at it next year.

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I was out for most of the season this year, I was able to run the last month. I came up short on a double also. Broke my femur in one spot, shattered it in another, had internal bleeding, and tore both my tricep and bicep muscles in my right arm. Had surgery to put in a titanium rod from my knee to my hip, two plates, four screws, and 38 staples. The spot where I broke and shattered my femur, measured exactly to the size of the front bumper. When the quad cart wheeled it came straight down on my leg. Only possible conclusion we came up with. But everyone heal and go back at it next year.
man that sounds like a whole new kind of hell. we had a rough weekend this weekend, my buddy broke his arm and separated his shoulder, and a kid at my local series (i was at provies) got airlifted and had to be put in an induced coma, hoping hes ok but from what i hear hes in rough shape :(

· Registered
91 Posts
man that sounds like a whole new kind of hell. we had a rough weekend this weekend, my buddy broke his arm and separated his shoulder, and a kid at my local series (i was at provies) got airlifted and had to be put in an induced coma, hoping hes ok but from what i hear hes in rough shape :(
Man thats sad to hear, i have never seen someone been airlifted from a accident before. And put into a coma, thats terrible. Hope he gets better man.

· Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well hes getting better, in stable condition for a while now but still in the hospital, all he wants is chinese food :p

· Premium Member
294 Posts
me and my buddies have had our fair share of bad luck this year...

early this year i had my sx kick outta gear at my practice track on the face of my 100' downhill and crashed (no major injuries but road rashed the shit outta my right arm), tim farr had his sx kick outta gear on his practice track and he broke his arm, my buddy wrecked at redbud and broke his pelvis and my other buddy wrecked at a local race and blew his knee out and just last week a guy flipped me on the holeshot and I shattered my collarbone and had to have surgery with plates and screws put in to repair it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.