KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it last night. Baselined it tonight. Bone stock 175mj vs. silencer and snorkel out 165mj.
15whp at 9k. LOL More to come. Run 5 made 50.5whp 37ftlbs. I forgot to print that one. You get the idea. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Dude I thought that was a typo 15 @ 9k, but you aint shitting! Hmmm,

·
Registered
769 Posts
I helped Driver out last night, all you have to do to this bike is remove the nut on the end cap of the can and remove the screen, there you go, 50hp, stock jetting, we tried and tried and only made minor improvements after that, 50hp with the snorkle in, no other mods made. this bike was not picky on jetting, no big improvemnts like my XC, stock main 175, after we jetted to get AFR correct 160 main on pump gas, 165 on race gas, JD jet kit needles to lean for us up here, smallest main that came in the kit was a 175, I'm not knocking the JD kit at all, we have strange weather here, the kit will prob. work great other places, the only other thing I can say is, if I was buying a new quad, this would be the bike!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had a mean inversion and fog like crazy last night. 200% humity. LOL Im guessing on another night more power could be had. We will find out. LOL

The sparky and snorkel added no hp. on the dyno. But modding the box helped a bit. We strapped it up and made 50.5whp and 37ftlbs. with no jetting. Peak power went down a touch but overall curve improved going from 175mj to 165mj. The bike stock with silencer out was almost dead on. As the night went on the weather got worse. I think 52whp is what its gonna do on a good night and the chain and sprockets broken in a little better. Remembe this machine has NO ride time. :huh:

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
matches what i thought "seat of the pants"

big Q now is how to get this thing into the high 50's :D

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Great numbers and great work driver and ranchero!
I can't wait to see the gains with those exhaust's you guys are gonna test B)
Some clips if possible, of her running in the dyno would be awesome too :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice guys! Thats a pretty good basline!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
matches what i thought "seat of the pants"

big Q now is how to get this thing into the high 50's :D
Venom head is what I doing. And a few other goodies. He has done some ltr heads for me that have made huge power.

Ported head w/ chamber work
seat work
custom +1 kibblewhite intake valves
custom +1 kitbblewhite exh. valves
aftermarket retainers
kibblewhite dual valve springs
$925
Web mid high cams
$325
Cp 13.5 piston
$200

Im guessing 8-10whp gain with all work. We will find out. LOL

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
hell, thats getting me exicted now.............. :p

always seems to take quad guys to push the envelope on the get up and go department !!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hell, thats getting me exicted now.............. :p

always seems to take quad guys to push the envelope on the get up and go department !!!
Cause the dirt bikes are 100lbs lighter and put more power to the ground because only one tire. They dont need ten more whp. They already have it. LOL

Plus duners and mx'rs love that powa!

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
given the flat power curve and lowish peak power rpm it sure looks like more camshaft is needed ?? and as i suspect more ignition timing on the low end to spark it up rather than the soft hit dirtbike setup............

I retimed my cams to the tigher specs, definite improvement, and it made the jetting go way off rich ?? had to lean the idle, drop the needle and back off 5 on the main !! otherwise if was a gutless blurbing turd........

I've got club MX this weekend so will get a better guage on the power improvements and will report back.

In comparison my yfz peaks at 9300, but with the X12 cams it hold it's power and is still making over 50 hp at the 11250 limiter......... makes for a very very strong top end surgeability

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone played with the wire mod? I didnt try that. Like I said I will be going back to do some more testing.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I remember seeing taht the SX wire is opposite of the SX.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Has anyone played with the wire mod? I didnt try that. Like I said I will be going back to do some more testing.

I did when i had at dasa before. he said the power was better with it connected. he said half- a horse i think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey Driver, can you explain this for me real quick. In your first post you say that removing the sparky/silencer and the snorkel along with rejet added 8whp. Then further down you say this:

The sparky and snorkel added no hp. on the dyno. But modding the box helped a bit.
THen on another forum you say that the rejet really didnt effect peak numbers, and the 8whp was really just from pulling the sparky/silencer and snorkel.

Sorry just want to understand what really caused the increase. I live in CA, bike (450SX) is bone stock except for JD jet kit (185 main, red needle on the 3rd clip) ...just wondering how much i might gain by removing the the sparky/silencer and snorkel.

Thanks

·
Registered
769 Posts
removing the spark arrestor had no effect, removing the snorkle had little to no effect, removing the silencer screen in the end cap made the diff in power, (remove the nut at on end cap, and it should fall out) Driver and I jetted, and jetted and jetted, when we left the Dyno, the bike was jetted pretty well and we had a tad more bottom and a tad les top, peak hp prior to jetting was 50.5hp, I found it hard to believe the bike made close to the same power from 12.5 AFR to 14.0 AFR but it did.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Driver, can you explain this for me real quick. In your first post you say that removing the sparky/silencer and the snorkel along with rejet added 8whp. Then further down you say this:

THen on another forum you say that the rejet really didnt effect peak numbers, and the 8whp was really just from pulling the sparky/silencer and snorkel.

Sorry just want to understand what really caused the increase. I live in CA, bike (450SX) is bone stock except for JD jet kit (185 main, red needle on the 3rd clip) ...just wondering how much i might gain by removing the the sparky/silencer and snorkel.

Thanks

Just pull the silencer and snorkel and you WILL GAIN atleast 8whp. I think you are rich at a 185mj. Its hard to say, Id go to a dyno. Id try that stuff and going back to 175mj. WE are at 2700ft. and the air is a little different here. But here the sx was rich not lean. I ended up sticking with the stock needle for now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for clarifying...pretty amazing! Cant wait to see the difference when i pull that out.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for clarifying...pretty amazing! Cant wait to see the difference when i pull that out.
So your telling me you have never pulled the silencer out? You are gonna crap your pants. Its gonna be a whole new bike. LOL I cant wait to hear what you have to say!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts