KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone read the Dirt Wheels Shootout. They praise the KTM 525, then in their conclusions they say after only two weeks the KTM looks worn. Needless to say a Yamaha won another Dirty Wheels Shootout.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Was that before KTM's spanked the #1 Bill Balance Yamaha in the GNCC twice in a row?...they did the same with the Polaris RZR against the Rhino...RZR can outrun, outjump, out manuever the Yamaha Rhino any day of the week but Dirt Wheels are still sticking to the Yamaha Rhino...Polaris hit a Homerun with the RZR and KTM is smokin the competition with a Built/Fit for Purpose XC ATV...they just can't admit it...they have their opinion and then we have proof!
Go Katoom!!!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Yeah they said the seat was torn and other gremlins crep up. But did not elaborate.
Maybe they got a defectuous one

C'mon the seat is high quality as is all the quad in general, lot's of friends with ltr's yfz's were impressed with the quality and Dirt Wheels says that, something is wrong...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe they got a defectuous one

C'mon the seat is high quality as is all the quad in general, lot's of friends with ltr's yfz's were impressed with the quality and Dirt Wheels says that, something is wrong...
Dirt Wheels is the only mag or website that has said that. Weird thing is during the review the Katoom was the fastest, best handling and I think tied the Raptor in trail ergonomics. Then in the conclusions the say that crap. I wonder what they meant about gremlins creeping up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm glad to hear others responded the way I did. Let me get this straight. The KTM has the best dyno numbers, the best engine, the best suspension, and the best brakes, and yet the Raptor 700 won?! And their most serious criticism of the KTM is some vague reference to "gremlins?" This is why I let my subscription to Dirt Wheels lapse. They spend half the review listing specs you could find in the brochure, and the rest making generic comments. Their standard for all quads seems to be a sofa with wheels. Us quad guys need a magazine like Motocross Action. They sometimes come across as "more moto than thou," but at least their reviews are technical, in-depth, and apparently trustworthy. Did anyone read Dirt Wheels 450 comparison? Another joke. Each machine gets about a paragraph. Dirt Wheels is essential a monthly aftermarket catalog with just enough articles thrown in to call it a magazine.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
i have personally owned both the 660 and new 700 raptors... there isnt any comparison, period. they are tippy and the suspension just plain sucks. i wasnt at all satisfied with the power at all on my 700 either. after spending over $2k on the motor i was somewhat satisfied, but tried 3 different types of shocks (elka elite, custom axis & fox evol dsc) on plus two different types of a-arms before finally giving up and selling it. the suspension geometry is fatally flawed and cant be fixed in my humble opinion. hell the raptor has 176cc more than the ktm and it made less power on the dyno; that speaks volumes for the superior design and efficiency of the ktm.

i am crying fowl here big time guys. i think dirtwheels is just plain scared of yamaha; they are affraid to be objective about it because they dont want to risk losing one of there largest advertisers.

i must say that article just makes me sick... i have no doubt that i have 50% more seat time on both the ktm 525 & raptor 700 than any of the testers could think about having.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
DW = D ick Whackers...............

in my opinion all the magazines are crap............. some are just deeper in there own s*hit than others ..........

I'd take a KTM over a Raptor anyday.................

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Yep the ole' Craptor is tippy and a good Mom & Pop Trail Machine...They sit on the sidelines at Olds Hill and watch the YFZ's, LTZ's BB's, LT-R's, 450R's all race...I raced several at Old's this time out at Glamis and they aren't even close to my LTZ470...like Bronson stated their suspension is lacking seriously...they start swapping ends in the whoops too easily...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have personally owned both the 660 and new 700 raptors... there isnt any comparison, period. they are tippy and the suspension just plain sucks. i wasnt at all satisfied with the power at all on my 700 either. after spending over k on the motor i was somewhat satisfied, but tried 3 different types of shocks (elka elite, custom axis & fox evol dsc) on plus two different types of a-arms before finally giving up and selling it. the suspension geometry is fatally flawed and cant be fixed in my humble opinion. hell the raptor has 176cc more than the ktm and it made less power on the dyno; that speaks volumes for the superior design and efficiency of the ktm.

i am crying fowl here big time guys. i think dirtwheels is just plain scared of yamaha; they are affraid to be objective about it because they dont want to risk losing one of there largest advertisers.

i must say that article just makes me sick... i have no doubt that i have 50% more seat time on both the ktm 525 & raptor 700 than any of the testers could think about having.
Totally agree...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya, I personally right now own a Raptor 700 ,LTR, and a KTm 525,I've that fricken Raptor from day one.As was said earlier it's suspention is screwed up and it feels like the back end is on slicks on ice, Yes it is out on the end of my driveway,hopefully someone will steal it. I won't sell the other two except to get new ones. I had the old 660 Raptor and it was better than this new one.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Ya, I personally right now own a Raptor 700 ,LTR, and a KTm 525,I've that fricken Raptor from day one.As was said earlier it's suspention is screwed up and it feels like the back end is on slicks on ice, Yes it is out on the end of my driveway,hopefully someone will steal it. I won't sell the other two except to get new ones. I had the old 660 Raptor and it was better than this new one.

you know know that you mention it, my 660 raptor felt plusher and more stable at speed than my 700r ever did. sure for the money, the raptor 700 will work for the majority of recreational riders, but then again they dont know any better about what is good, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find DW will do whetever it takes to put the better light on the Yami in any situation. If the other quad out performs, they will call it twitchy, stiff, too low, light in the front, hard seat, under tractioned. If the Yami is maybe a better performer then they will bust on the other ride for being heavy, squishy shocks, too soft seat, underpowered, no handling ect. Whatever the rival quad does well they will be looking for more what the Yami does everytime. The criteria for winning a shootout changes everytime with whatever suits them. It is stunning really. They can put up some "racing" quads and the Raptor can win because it is comfortable for the average Joe, power is even for Joe, handling is predictable for Joe. Then the same quads but a YFZ and then it wins because it is the "lightest", fastest laptime, most racing inspired quad. Its just spin and damage control for Yamaha palin and simple.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts