KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. My KTM kissed a tree this weekend (and I kissed the dirt) and none of the involved parties like it! :lol:

Anyways, I clearly bent something up, I noticed immediately that my steering was stiff but I couldn't see any major mechanical issue, aside from the toe being all messed up. I hit the tree with the left (shifter side) front tire. It launched me, and the quad flipped and landed backwards in the trail. One thing that has thrown me about this is that considering the way I hit I would have expected the toe to be out, rather than in (as seen in picture). The handlebars align perfectly with the right (brake) side tire, it seems like its all the left side that is tweaked.

It does not look like the tie rod is bent, although I haven't taken it out and rolled it on a flat surface yet. Even if it is though, there appears to be more going on than a tweaked tie rod. On the drive home I was thinking maybe I bent the frame, but upon further examination (now that it is clean) I do not think that it is. I see no visible bend behind the lower a-arm connection, and when I measure from the chassis rail behind the motor (near where the swing arm connects) to the front lower a-arm the measurements are spot on from side to side. Is there a better point to point to measure?

I measured from the axle to the middle of the BJ on the lower a-arm, and get about a 1/4" difference on each side. My brake side lower a-arm does have a dent, but it is not from this incident. However, I do not know if maybe the a-arm is bent a tad and causing the difference in measurement. Thoughts?

EDIT: Could someone with a straight frame, stock a-arms and stock swingarm get me an axle to a-arm (or BJ) measurement to compare to? <-- This probably varies with chain tension though, doesn't it?

I am now thinking it is maybe a bent spindle or a-arm, and I am curious as to how to best measure/determine if this is the case.

I've dealt with some carnage before, but it was always very clear and visible. Help! :lol:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I had the exact same issue after hitting tire at local track. Turned out the spindle was bent. Take wheel off and look at rotor front and rear of it and I bet you will find the rotor to be closer on the rear than on the front, or the other way around. I too had nothing else bent and it looked just like that. (Spindle, spindle, spindle)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the help guys. I will take the front end apart tonight (I was too sore last night lol) and check it out in more detail.

I've been really impressed with what the stock KTM tie rods can take, I'd have guessed they'd be the first things to bend.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
as 525 said, looks like it has to be the spindle. nothing i can see looks bent.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Stock spindles bend easy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that the 08 part number is superseded now, are the newer ones better/stronger?

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you find the spindle to be bent please post pictures of it. I have noticed mine does this when I have it on the rear bumper washing it. However I never thought anything of it because it tracks straight and steering feels fine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you find the spindle to be bent please post pictures of it. I have noticed mine does this when I have it on the rear bumper washing it. However I never thought anything of it because it tracks straight and steering feels fine.
I will.

Yours may just be an alignment/tie-rod issue, because mine was definitely more difficult to steer and I had to turn slightly left to go straight. Anything above third gear was sketchy. :eek: Plus like I said in the first post, the one tire lines up with the handlebars, the other one (the one in question here) does not, like you see in the pictures.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I will.

Yours may just be an alignment/tie-rod issue, because mine was definitely more difficult to steer and I had to turn slightly left to go straight. Anything above third gear was sketchy. :eek: Plus like I said in the first post, the one tire lines up with the handlebars, the other one (the one in question here) does not, like you see in the pictures.

Does it line up when they are on the ground? I just put new tie rod ends on the other month and got the toe set correctly. Turned out each tie rod length ended up exactly the same. When the quad is on the ground the wheels point straight. When off the ground one always goes in.

Not try to steal your thread... but here is a good example...notice the difference in wheel angles from fully compressed suspension to fully un-compressed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does it line up when they are on the ground? I just put new tie rod ends on the other month and got the toe set correctly. Turned out each tie rod length ended up exactly the same. When the quad is on the ground the wheels point straight. When off the ground one always goes in.

Not try to steal your thread... but here is a good example...notice the difference in wheel angles from fully compressed suspension to fully un-compressed.
I could see that the toe was pointing in when the tires were on the ground too. You definitely have some crazy stuff going on there, maybe both of your spindles are bent? lol

No worries about stealing, this is turning into a good thread that can hopefully benefit both of us and others in the future.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I could see that the toe was pointing in when the tires were on the ground too. You definitely have some crazy stuff going on there, maybe both of your spindles are bent? lol

No worries about stealing, this is turning into a good thread that can hopefully benefit both of us and others in the future.
This was also the race that the tie rod end separated on my on the last lap. After these pics were taken, I replaced all 4 tie rod ends and re-aligned the front. When I get a chance I will take a picture of it sitting with no weight, fully compressed, and then up in the air as it is now.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If it helps....... the stem and flag need to be checked. My stem is twisted. Makes my left wheel touches the upper a-arm when turn hard left! lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I suppose I should check the stem too, thanks.

I noticed last night when I had it stood up that my tire could touch the a-arm too, because the steering stem stop peeled itself back again.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I run Precision anti vibe clamps. I disconnected the tie rods with the flag still mounted, and the antivibe still dug into my IMS tank on the left side. So that told me right there my stem was bent.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Here is a picture with the ATV resting at normal and also in the air. The geometry of the suspension naturally toe's in when unloaded and toes out when loaded (which is why they tell you to set Toe with the rider sitting on the atv). When I replaced the tie rod ends I set the toe to what KTM has in the manual with me sitting on the quad. It looks like they are toeing in the same amount when up in the air and completely unloaded. Also, when I push down on front bumper both wheels are toeing out at the same rate. So either I fixed my problem when I replaced tie rod ends...or the angels of the pictures I posted earlier are deceiving.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, I really don't know what to say about that. Below is a picture I took back in March of mine standing up, the tires look damn near parallel. Is it maybe an aftermarket a-arm thing? Hopefully someone can drop some knowledge on this...

(sorry its a shitty iPhone pic, and yes I was washing it in the rain :lol: )

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Bump steer? Ktm is pretty well known for excessive bump steer. Texiera flag reduces it greatly

1 - 20 of 23 Posts