KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Does anyone do long haul desert racing with the 525? I have recently done the Finke desert race and cooked the motor on day two giving me a big fat DNF.
I left the motor stock for reliability and simply jetted for the race.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Some are saying I should block off the coolant bypass hose so all the coolant goes through the radiator.

I love this quad and want to see it do well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
same issue this weekend in a race in IN. It is at the stealership now getting checked out

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
mine ran hot when i first got it. i came up with two easy fix's for it. the first one was to drain the entire coolant system and refill it with cycle logic's engine ice. that alone helped a whole lot but it still ran just a tad bit hot for my liking. the second thing i did was went one size larger on the main jet and it has never run hot since!!!

i hope this helps, good luck!

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
This is a problem on the 2 wheelers, there is a trick side case / oil cooler setup from HT racing. It adds 600mls but most importantly its an engine oil cooler element to get rid of the heat.

Engine ice works good, but an oil cooler is the way to cool the black stuff.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
John

where are you based, I'm in Australia allot for work (based in Auckland), sure would like to see one of the desert events if I could work it in.

cheers

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
several years back a good friend of mine, Paul Smith. built a 520 exc hybrid, he added an oil cooler feeding of the oil filter covers. Not sure how it was plumbed up, but it was needed to keep the temps inline.....

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
alba make a trick filter cover - oil cooler setup for the TRX 450 honda, possibly one of the CNC guru's here could look into something similar ???

alba trx450r parts page

something different anyways

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
$3k entry fee..... thats serious......

I was just in Adelaide thursday..... over in perth in two weeks..... double bugger...

what's the go with rerouting the rad hoses ??

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
my bike always runs hot, both mine and Sean's. I think we're gonna switch over t engine ice but im not 100% sure, i'm guessing by the wy you guys talk about it it's a pretty solid product. am i right?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
BH84: ice is good, swap it in soon ! I run it my YFZ480 to keep it all under control......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im planning on entering the UAE desert challenge race ,which is a 2000 mile long desert race in temperatures of up to 45 degrees celcius, so yeah pretty hot, been testing 2 of the 525s since december and have run up to over 50 hours on each quad, with no internal engine issues whatsover ,
had some issues with the clutch fluid boiling and now use ATF fluid , also geared it way up , with 15 tooth front and 37 rear , with akrapovic headpipe exhaust and some jetting done , kept the snorkel on as otherwise the filter gets way too dirty and heavy and can fall or rip off...
yeah the quad has ran hot but never hot enough to have it boil over or cause engine trouble , i use 15w50 synthetic oil

I say get the exhaust and headerpipe , rejet and regear with at least a 15T front for the aussie safari rally and you will be fine

I am 100 percent confident with the reliabilty of the KTM engine, if you treat it well and keep an eye on stuff it should be ok

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey maggs seen u at finke but never got to meet ya was stayin at the same motel as u i was with huskygoat etc doin there mechanicin etc
i just bought 2 450xc's from woody at racemotorcycles and started racin them here in darwin
went to a pony express today (sunday 22th june) and mine actuall started to over heat and i had to dnf closer inspection revealed that due to one of my near misses on a creek crossing my knee had belted the plastics near the radiator and had damaged the tank and now leaks coolant quite bad
what coolant are u goin to run for aussie safari cause i wanna get some good stuff for up here as u know its like 30 odd every day
dont know if ill be at the safari yet to help husky and vj i need the money cant afford to stay of work

cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts