KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It maybe has 10 hours on. Im so mad right now. I don't get to ride that much so the day comes and I went to start it and it didn't want to stay at idle. It kept stalling it would only stay running with the choke on. I played with the idle to keep it running with the choke off but it was poping alittle like the jetting was off. I ran it up the street and turned it off before I loaded it up. I went to start it to load and it wouldn't start at all. It sounded like there was no spark. So I put it away and took my razr. I tore into today and there is no spark. I first checked the pull kill switch and it's working. I checked the coil and I was getting power to it but not to the plug. My brother said to run direct power to it and run a jumper off the ground and just tap it with the plug touching to see if it would spark. Well my brother touched the power side to ground and it sparked and smoked. My brother test the coil after that with a meter and said it was dead. He was saying there should be some resitance and there was none. I don't know to much about electrical so is there anyone out there to give me hints on what to check. I was thinking it could be kill switch, cdi, coil, the pick up off the flywheel / stater. Need help!

·
Registered
140 Posts
The tps is probally out of adjustment. We had a couple of the same issues w/ the xc last year sounds exactly like our problem.It was TPS. Also when you played with the idle if you get them in 2 far it makes the TPS not work properly.
Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tps is probally out of adjustment. We had a couple of the same issues w/ the xc last year sounds exactly like our problem.It was TPS. Also when you played with the idle if you get them in 2 far it makes the TPS not work properly.
Hope this helps!!
I'll check it in the morning. The thing is the last time i rode it it was snowing out. I started it up and because it was so cold it ran alittle rough. I did play with that black adjuster on the bottom of the carb. Isn't that an idle screw or does that deal with the tps? When I started it the other day I turned it clockwise to try to get it to idle with the choke off. Ran it up the street turned it off and never fired again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
the tps switch is located in the throttle assy
the throttle as to be COMPLETELY close to engage the tps switch, try to loose the cable adjustment like it was.....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'll check it in the morning. The thing is the last time i rode it it was snowing out. I started it up and because it was so cold it ran alittle rough. I did play with that black adjuster on the bottom of the carb. Isn't that an idle screw or does that deal with the tps? When I started it the other day I turned it clockwise to try to get it to idle with the choke off. Ran it up the street turned it off and never fired again.
So you messed with the air mix screw. That really shouldnt be messed with untill the machine is fully warmed up. I had the SAME issue on my honda and I forgot to NOT touch that think in the winter untill it was totally warm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't mess with the fuel air screw. The adjuster that moves the cam that your throttle cable hooks to inside the carb. I believe it's the idle adjuster. How do you adjust the tps? I looked at the switch the mounts on the thumb lever and it hits it with the throttle off. I backed off the idle adjuster to see if that would work but still no spark. Is there some other way to adjust that tps? I want to say thanks to all your guys for trying to help me out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The tps is at the carb. you will have to take off plastics to adjust. on the carb there is a black plastic connector with a green paint mark half on the carb body and half on the plast connector make sure the paint mark is still lined up. it doesn't take very much movement to get out of adjustment. you can loosen the screw enough to move very slightly while someone helps turn over the stater to check spark. The micro switch in the throttle housing isn't the tps. It only tells the tps its safe to start. if you need more help pm me and I'll give you my # to walk you through the adjustment. Also the hot start wouldn't have anything to do with spark. Also if the throttle cable is to tight it will prevent the tps from resetting.
hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to adjust the tps and got nothing. There mite be something else going on. Im just going to take it to the ktm dealer in reno. It sucks because it's like a 2 hour drive for me. I just don't trust the local bike shop in town to work on anything. To many stories and they sell everything but ktm's. Thanks for all the help guys. Just want to get her running before my next days off. Going crazy not being able to ride my 505. I hate to settle and ride the ds 450. It's just not the same.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm not sure what you are getting when you try to start it now - nothing at all (silence) or cranking. If you are getting absolutely nothing with the clutch lever pulled in and the starter button depressed, you probably have the same issue I had a week after I got mine. Inside the clutch lever there is a safety pin which basically tells the bike it is OK to start because you have the clutch lever pulled in. I somehow managed to bend that stupid little pin and then proceed to break the pin completely therefore stranding my quad at the track unable to start. It was a very random and sudden failure. One minute it ran and started, the next it didn't. It took my dealer like 3 weeks to figure it out and get the part (but that was in October when they first came out so no one knew anything).

It sounds like it may be the same situation if I am interpreting what you said correctly. I could jump-start the quad by bypassing the starter and using a screwdriver to bridge the battery terminal connections, which it sounds like is your case too.

Hope this helps. Maybe give your dealer a head's up if they can't figure anything else out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got a call today. The old coil tested bad and changed it out still no spark. cdi was good and thought it could be the stator. Ordered a new one and put it in and got spark. They checked the old stator and it was good. They put it back in and had spark. They ended up putting the old coil in and got spark. ???? They checked all the wires and said there was a wire off the stator that had rub marks off a gear but was not showing bare wires. They routed the wires different and put the new coil back in. Started and ran it about 20 times and starts everytime now. Weird!! Picking it up friday or sat. Cost $214 for new coil and labor:(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Last summer when I got my motor put back to together, it all of a sudden lost power, & would not idle, then eventually would not restart. I found it had no spark, so I started with the tps, then checked everything I could think of. I was baffled, and just about ready to load up & head to the dealer & for some reason I looked at the connector that was right there with the tps connector above the carb. So I disconnected it & plugged it back in. Well what do you know it had spark again. Well I followed that connector down & found that it was the pulsar coil. I have not had any more electrical problems until last sunday when my sons xc just dies all of a sudden with no warnings like mine had. well after towing it back to the pickup, we find that we again have no spark. So we go home and check the tps, and then unplug & plug in every connector in the harness with no luck. so we started swapping parts from my xc. first the cdi, then the coil, still no spark. I really did not want to pull the pulsar coil out of both bikes just to find that was not the problem. So I grabbed my multimeter and started looking for any kind of readings. On my bike the needle would move just slightly on the 10 milliamp setting, but nothing on josh's bike. So we propped both bikes up on their sides and swapped pulsar coils. well that was our problem, it has spark again. Dealer said that is the first one they have had to replace.

Sorry for such a long post, but I see alot of posts about no spark issues, and thought maybe my story might save somebody some time & headache in the future.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts