KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had issues with the cylinder head cover bolts breaking off in the cylinder head or know what causes this to happen. This is on the 525xc, it is one of the bolts beside the exhuast valve cover on the right side of the motor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the two bolts on the right side go through the rocker arm shafts, the shafts will rock back and forth against them and make little notches in the bolts. they will eventually break. the dirt bike guys have been changing them out for hardened allen head bolts for a while now. they are 6mm x 55mm if I remember correctly. thumper even sends 2 out with their top end service kit. just go grab 2 from your local hardware store & you will be good to go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I should be able to replace bolt by only removing the cylinder head cover removing the broken threaded end of the bolt and replace without removing the head ,is that correct?
It sprayed oil all over the bottom of the tank and cylinder but i noticed instantly and shut it off. The bolt was still in place so I dont think anything could have got in.
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts