KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
End play-...When and how often should this be checked and how would you adjust it? Should it be checked from new?

·
Registered
769 Posts
most guys seem to put it about 20 thousands, when they rebuild the motor, as far as checking it, I don't bother until it's time to rebuild, unless I thought I had a problem,

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most guys seem to put it about 20 thousands, when they rebuild the motor, as far as checking it, I don't bother until it's time to rebuild, unless I thought I had a problem,
Thanks ranchero, do you know how you would adjust this? Is there shims behind bearing races or something? Also, going to the roller brg setup..would this change adjutments or eliminate the need for them somehow?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks ranchero, do you know how you would adjust this? Is there shims behind bearing races or something? Also, going to the roller brg setup..would this change adjutments or eliminate the need for them somehow?
After hearing about the possibility of the engine locking up cause of tight end play I checked our bike and it was a couple of thousands too tight but was within the older RFS spec. Sorry I do not have the specs off of the top of my head. If you go roller you know you have to have the crank modified so the bearings are a slip fit vs press. The shims are located behind the bearing races on the crankshaft and are a bitch to get off. With the roller bearings you can run the tighter RFS specs.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After hearing about the possibility of the engine locking up cause of tight end play I checked our bike and it was a couple of thousands too tight but was within the older RFS spec. Sorry I do not have the specs off of the top of my head. If you go roller you know you have to have the crank modified so the bearings are a slip fit vs press. The shims are located behind the bearing races on the crankshaft and are a bitch to get off. With the roller bearings you can run the tighter RFS specs.
Thanks, do you know what rollers people are running? I mean, what machine are they using them from to convert the ktm to this style setup? I would like to do this eventually and my machine shop could handle it no problem, he just needs to know what brgs to use. Thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks, do you know what rollers people are running? I mean, what machine are they using them from to convert the ktm to this style setup? I would like to do this eventually and my machine shop could handle it no problem, he just needs to know what brgs to use. Thanks.
I ment ball bearings sorry, I was told that they are out of a KFX450 engine. The crank needs to be machined down just enough for the bearing to slid on without too much force. A guy named CUT7 on ktmtalk can do the modification for $100 with the new bearings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts