KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a couple of people have put the K&N crank case air breather in. I need to know the part number.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thumper racing sells a crank case check valve that is much better then just a filter, it's kinda spendy, check it out on there web site, they have a video of it working, very nice stuff... big write up on this subject on KTMTalk.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the website?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thumperstore.com ask for Travis, also ask for the link to his video on the crank case check valve, I can't find the link to his video, please post the link when/if you get it, Driver and I will be dyno testing one of these when I recover from the pipe shoot-out, the video is killer proof of what is happening and why they come vented to the clean side of the air box...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Lost down under.

Thanks for finding that info.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you just put this valve in line from the hose that goes from the crank case to the carb?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes. I blocked the fitting to the carb off and put a uni slip on K&N type filter on the end of the valve and zip tied it above the side plastics. It works great.

Brian

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Yes. I blocked the fitting to the carb off and put a uni slip on K&N type filter on the end of the valve and zip tied it above the side plastics. It works great.

Brian
Hey Pops, maybe you can post pics of what you did.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Dirt tricks has been trying out a small catch reservior on the 530's they have a know oil burning problem through the engine vent to the carb.....

Dirt tricks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thats a good idea. I run mine from the crank case to under the seat. Best place i found to keep it dry and away from dust. I run the UNI filter and the travis check valve. I have noticed that i still have some oil that blows out it. Any clue as to why it would do this? Not enough to cause a noticable drop in the case. Maybe because i might have overfilled the oil just a little? I try to get it as close to half way up the glass as possible, but ya know. Any ideas, or solutions would be appreicated.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I read the topic in the link and sounds like there on to something. Any update on it? I do not care about putting the oil back in, i can always do that manualy. But something to catch it before it blows all over my air box would be sweet.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Does anyone know why oil would be coming out of this hose?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
On the 530's and stock on the SX the engine vent is plugged into the carb so creating a vacuum in the engine. You get alot of oil mist in a big single due to the piston pulse, you don't get this anywhere as bad in a multi as one piston goes up another is coming down.

You simply need somewhere to catch the oil mist, condense it and drain it back into the system. Catch tanks are very common on hi rev car / truck / buggy applications and they have the space to fit a decent size catch / condense tank

The Yamaha YFZ and Suzuki LTR have small catch tanks in there engine breather setups (black box in the vent pipe work). I like the LTR one. The KTM has nothing just a hose back to the carb, okay when the top end is tight and no blow by.

On the 530's a lot of guys where noticing oil consumption and blue smoking, the article link provides the answers why.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Craig, I have some stuff to rig up my own "catch tank" but was wondering if you could get a pic or a part number for the one that is on A LTR. If possible, i might just buy that one instead. Its weird b/c i have a bran new top end, so i cant really see blow by being an issue

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
yup, thats the one. Vent from engine, drain back to engine out the bottom and hose to intake.

No sure where to drain would be able to be connected easily back to the gearbox on the KTM ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts