KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hope ktm sees this and does something about it ,
but anyways here it is
the threaded inserts on the fuel tanks are a really bad design that dont grip enough and on a few quads now i have seen that when trying to loosen them for the first time , they tend to spin along with the bolt and then there is no chance of loosening it , maybe the plastic bolts on the fuel tanks are overtightened from the factory...

so what i am saying is watch out when putting your plastics back on , just dont overtighten the bolts on the fuel tank at all..

seb

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just learned my lesson!! Everyone says to put loctite on everything so i did!! Just went to re-jet my carb now i cant get those 2 bolts out on the tank to remove the gas tank to get the carb out!! The bolts just spin in there holes, what did you do to get them out? I just left them for now because i dont want to butcher them up!! I'm pissed!! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just learned my lesson!! Everyone says to put loctite on everything so i did!! Just went to re-jet my carb now i cant get those 2 bolts out on the tank to remove the gas tank to get the carb out!! The bolts just spin in there holes, what did you do to get them out? I just left them for now because i dont want to butcher them up!! I'm pissed!! Thanks!

this happend to mine to but i didnt use locktite or anything

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep mine did it too when taking the plastic off for the first time.I pulled up on the plastic while turning the bolt and the brass inserts came out with the bolt.I gorrilla glued them back in and I've taken them off since and they stayed.Just don't tighten the bolts up much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got bit by this....
If I pull up hard enough to pull out the Brass inserts, any chance it could damage the tank?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Just got bit by this....
If I pull up hard enough to pull out the Brass inserts, any chance it could damage the tank?

Yep, mine did it and started leaking fuel. KTM knows about it and warrantied mine put a new tank on for me. you can loctite everybolt on the bike and be fine EXCEPT THE TANK BOLTS. Anti seize only and don't over tighten them. The only real fix for it is to get the IMS tank. much better design. Good luck guys.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
It sucks about the fuel tank mine did the same and KTM warranted it as well so go to your dealer and get it warranted as well. Make sure you use anti freeze on the new one. The problem is, instead of 90 degree bends they rounded the corners off on the nuts. But we know who the really nut is.(designer)

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Mine did the same thing and then started leaking gas. The dealer warrantied it but I bought an IMS tank as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I went to my dealer and they said kTm told them no way the quad is to old......WHAT??????????
Oh well I'll either try to repair this one or get a new one.

Brian

·
Registered
219 Posts
Something happen here. KTM warrantied each time. I'm now on my 3rd tank. So far so good. Knock on wood. I'm just waiting for this tank to fail too.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I went to my dealer and they said kTm told them no way the quad is to old......WHAT??????????
Oh well I'll either try to repair this one or get a new one.

Brian

I would have to say your dealer is full of shit. I'd lean on em. Thats crap man.

·
Registered
72 Posts
well that's good that the tanks seem for the most part to be an item that ktmNA will work with folks on. I've got one stuck on mine and cant seem to get it to come out. I've tried pulling on the plastic and loosening, prying on the plastic with a flat head and loosening, I've even tried outside part of the retainer and trying to hold it while someone else loosens. STILL NOTHING!! Anyone got any ideas?? :huh:

·
Registered
951 Posts
well that's good that the tanks seem for the most part to be an item that ktmNA will work with folks on. I've got one stuck on mine and cant seem to get it to come out. I've tried pulling on the plastic and loosening, prying on the plastic with a flat head and loosening, I've even tried outside part of the retainer and trying to hold it while someone else loosens. STILL NOTHING!! Anyone got any ideas?? :huh:

Put a flat bladed screwdriver between the tank and th plastics. gently pry and put a little pressure between them and at the same time put a drill with a socket on the head of the bolt and reverse out. This seems to be the best option on the multiple threads that I have read on this issue. Good luck. If that doesnt work. grind off the head of the bolt, an after you remove the plastics remove the insert and glue it back in with an epoxy or gorrilla glue. After it sets up you should be able to remove whats left of the bolt with vise grips. then use a new bolt with anti seize.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts