KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - i hadnt ridden my 09 525xc for a while and when i went to take it for a spin the other day i found that the clutch was completely free ie it had no resistance whatsoever - i thought the discs n plates in the clutch basket might be sticky after sitting for a while - so i tried starting it in gear to see if that would free them up - but that didnt work - so i opened the clutch oil reservoir and found that it was completely dry - i remember that the last time i rode the bike (about 2 months ago) the clutch wasnt engaging well ie the bike would still move a bit when it was in gear even when the clutch was fully pulled in - im guessing that the oil was probably low from that time

so what do you suggest i do now? - a friend of mine suggested that I replace the seals as he reckons theyre probably worn out - but im not sure which seals exactly i should replace - i have checked online and found a 'REP. KIT PISTON 9.5MM 09' with part no 50302032100 which is for the clutch cylinder (on the handlebar) - see the attached parts diagram - its item no 32

but im really not sure if these are the correct seals or not - could someone please confirm which are the correct parts and if theres anything else i need to do to get this sorted properly

thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Was the master cylinder at the handlebars leaking? if not, then that is not your problem. First it is not unusual for an old clutch to be sticky, plates stick together. (seems not to disengage when cold). second, I would add fluid to the system and bleed it. determin where the fluid went. Might be the slave cylinder, or you might feel real stupid if you find it was a hose or connection. bottom line, add fluid and check it out first. far cheaper than gusessing...

Replacing your clutch plates and using good synthetic oil takes care of the creeping.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I just ran into this on mine. The slave cylinder is leaking slightly. Mine leaked just enough for it to run low on hydraulic fluid and caused little to no clutch lever. I flushed it and pushed hydraulic fluid though it. This winter I'm going to replace the seals in the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mine kept going free as well and was losing all the fluid. I just replaced the slave cylinder, re-bled and works perfectly since!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you don't see a leak any where else, it is your slave cylinder. you wont see it leaking because it is leaking internally. I did the master rebuild, new line, then the slave to finally fix it right. I was under the impression that you can't just do the seals in the slave but I may be wrong about that. I was told that the new one is updated from the original. maybe someone who knows can chime in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you don't see a leak any where else, it is your slave cylinder. you wont see it leaking because it is leaking internally. I did the master rebuild, new line, then the slave to finally fix it right. I was under the impression that you can't just do the seals in the slave but I may be wrong about that. I was told that the new one is updated from the original. maybe someone who knows can chime in.
A little late for this but they supposedly fixed the slave cylinder for the 2009 models but I'm sure that doesn't make them immune to issues. At this point my 525xc is 13 years old so I'm hoping the slave cylinder bit the dust cause I am out of ideas if not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts