KTM ATV HQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ive tensioned my chain a couple times now as per the manual and im noticing every time i do it im damaging the bike. thiers the hub were the rear sproket bolts onto you put the ktm tool through thier and into the eccentric hub and rotate in either direction, not only have i bent the ktm tool but both the sprocket hub and eccentric hub are warn away, is thier a better way to do this with out damaging parts??

·
Registered
430 Posts
hey guys ive tensioned my chain a couple times now as per the manual and im noticing every time i do it im damaging the bike. thiers the hub were the rear sproket bolts onto you put the ktm tool through thier and into the eccentric hub and rotate in either direction, not only have i bent the ktm tool but both the sprocket hub and eccentric hub are warn away, is thier a better way to do this with out damaging parts??

I bent my KTM tool as well. As for wearing on the hub, i dont see anything. Just make sure you loosten up the 10mm bolts clamping the hub quite a bit, it will make it easier to rotate. I also just started a regular allen wrench instead of the KTM tool, If there a good set, they wont bend

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Ktm does offer a spanner wrench looking tool made just for chain adusting. shouldve been included in the tool kit if you ask me. Pn 83019011000 will set you back about $53.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ktm does offer a spanner wrench looking tool made just for chain adusting. shouldve been included in the tool kit if you ask me. Pn 83019011000 will set you back about .
I use a adjustible spanner from Progressive Suspension. It works great, I think you can get them around $20.00 - 25.00. Not sure I've had mine for many years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You loose the four 10mm bolts, lift the bike in rear so the wheels are in the air, innstall the tool and then turn the wheels, the tool is only to lock the axle in the hub, so the hub turns with it, if i understand your post correct, you are trying to turn the hub with the tool, that´s not the way, at least i do it this way and it works fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You loose the four 10mm bolts, lift the bike in rear so the wheels are in the air, innstall the tool and then turn the wheels, the tool is only to lock the axle in the hub, so the hub turns with it, if i understand your post correct, you are trying to turn the hub with the tool, that´s not the way, at least i do it this way and it works fine.
i finally figured it out. i just wasnt pushing hard enough onthe bike to roll it foward but it finally went. thanks for the help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if its me or the quad...I've used the KTM as shown in the repair manual to lock the rear axel....roated the tires forward and backward but no movement with the excentric hub. I've even used a spanner wrench with no luck execpt to take a chunk of metal out on the excentric hub, where the spanner wrench locks in. I was 100% sure the 4 10mm bolt were loose...as a last ditch effort I even went so far as to remove them, but still no movement. I can't get the hub to rotate to tighten up the chain. Im out of ideas.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Harbor frieght sells a set of spanner wrenches. On sale for about 30 bucks I think. Works well. Wont damage the hub.

Rich

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you havn't adjusted the chain for a while the hub could be seized into the swing arm. remove the four bolts and gently pry the halves apart till they seperate from the hub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts