KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be working on setting up my SX at the dealership on Friday. I want to know what everybodies spring numbers are

FRONTS
tender
main

REAR
tender
main

Thanks, I was told that you can get different spring rates from KTM for the mains and tender and I just want to see where things are at on mine.

Vogtman-
Hey my dealership is being REALLY cool now! Did you say something?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
do a search, I posted this ages ago.......

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
ok..here ya go......

spring things.....

WP can supply alternative front springs

Front Shock Springs

first number is the spring rate in kn/mm - second number is the spring length in mm
Stock top spring is a 40 - 60
optional softer 30 - 60

Main spring, softer and heavier springs available

Softer 21- 25 / 275

stock 24 - 29 / 275

heavier 26 - 31 / 275

stock springs are progressive rate 24 - 29 kn/mm 275 = length

mutliple KN/mm by 5.6 to get lbs/in

I'll get more data on the rear.

Rear springs

Spring Testing:

WP tender Spring: 8.75 to 12.9 kg/mm, with the plastic internal lock out the spring probably is limited to 10kg when it's travel is limited.

WP main Spring: 8.1 - 9.4 kg/mm

tender spring Code 100 - 55 first number is the spring rate in kN/mm second is the length in mm

Main spring code 82 - 200

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I found it RIGHT away. But how about that rear tender and main?

Thanks again Craigs ;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K heres the deal here is mine

FRONT
tender 40-60
main 24-29 /275

Rear
tender 100/55
main 80/100

my front moves like my first set of Elkas that were smooth as glass
my rear is nice, just needs a little less compression- I will leave my opinion open on that till Friday when I can mess with it a little

So Craig it looks like my rear main spring is lighter?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://www.moto-pro.com/Browse_Category.as...PDSSHOCKSPRINGS

By the way this dude is a KTM (WP) GURU!!!!
He custom winds PDS springs for the KTM if he dioesnt have them allready, plus the weigh more than 1 pound LESS than his closest competitions spring. Im not trying to step on your feet Ron, this guy has just been into A LOT of WP shocks. And he makes things specifically to improve the WP's.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
be carefull here, progrissive springs might work on 2 wheelers, they are less than stellar on a quad. Dual spings give you total control on cross over point, sag and ride heights......... you'll burn through alot of progessives to get the right combo........

stick with guys who know how to sping a quad............ ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good luck getting springs in the USA. I called KTM no springs. Race Tech has akit for the WPs talk to Todd he will take care of you.
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Let me know if you guys need anything. I am a WP Suspension dealer now and can get pretty much anything from them, I just need part #'s from you. I am working on getting more stuff for the SX's, but its going to be a timely matter. If you need springs, I should be able to get them no problem.

Pm me with anything.

Jay

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jay, see if you can get a spring rate lighter on the front and rear for the main springs! If there is a place where I can find part numbers I will go check it out and get you those numbers.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So maybe this would be a lighter set up

Fronts
30-60 tender
21-25 / 275 main

Rear
tender???
main???
Not sure of their options

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I'm working on something for you. I am actually doing some stuff in trying to get a "kit" available to you all here that will improve your shocks for a good price. My personal shocks off my new 09 that i'll be racing this year are being re-vamped by WP themselves over in Europe and when they are over there, they are going to be testing out some new things on them for another version later to be brought about hopefully.

I have limited info right now, but I'm working hard to bring new things to you all and work out these KTM's to the highest lever possible.

Brad, I will contact you soon when I get a response worthwhile for you from my contact. Pm me your personal email please sir. :D

Jay

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that some cool stuff your getting dirty with!
Ill shoot you my info
THanks Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let me know if you guys need anything. I am a WP Suspension dealer now and can get pretty much anything from them, I just need part #'s from you. I am working on getting more stuff for the SX's, but its going to be a timely matter. If you need springs, I should be able to get them no problem.

Pm me with anything.

Jay
I need to get the 21-25 275 main springs can you get them?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Jay

I hope you have better luck than our WP guys down here on springs, all listed, but unobtanium, I gave up waiting and went another direction with springs..........

Still if it means that the next batch of quads actually has top notch valving instead of the sledgehammer setting the first batch came with then thats great news..

Kiwi

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I've got a large list of springs, but like you said they are un-obtainable. I have a set of front shocks over in Europe right now getting worked and they are utilizing the stock springs just changing out the valving for me and putting some "trick" inner components in there for me. I'm not sure what the deal is....

Anyways, I can get any spring setup that you guys would like but I have to have at least 6 on my order sheet otherwise they won't do it. Basically they would make a custom spring for me. I'm not quite sure why it is this way, either does my WP guy, but he said this is all they can offer right now unfortunately..... BUT... we ARE working on some different avenues, so I hope something can be accomplished in that sense...

Thanks, Jay

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
or you guys could just send them to me. just valving is not going to be enough you have to do both spring curve and valving curve or the shock will be unbalanced and ride like crap

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I'm stoked to get my rear shock back from you Ron!! I think it'll be killer! I'll have a full ride report after my national in Pell City, AL in a two weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts