KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on '09 505sx (quad), air filter not installed properly and ring seized in piston groove. Replaced cyl, piston, had head done and reassembled (see "basket case"). Ran great about 10hrs, swapped silencer and ran 2min then locked up, during teardown cam journals galled up, and can hear clicking while turning over by hand, flats on cam will not line up when crank pin installed. No sign of oil getting to head, was wondering which way the cam gear shaft goes (the one that goes through the top cam chain gear) does it go with the oil holes up or down, and is that even my problem?

·
Registered
880 Posts
It does not say which way in the service cd installed it with the oil hole up.
Bill

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I searched through the CD, and found nothing.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You may have to tap in to one of the oil ports and check the oil pressure with a gage.
Bill

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found plastic oil pump gear and idler gear broke and oil pump seized.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
removed oil pump rotors on right side and shaft would not turn, removed oil pump on left side and found left inner set of oil pump rotors stuck and broke when I finally got them out of the case. This thing has 3 oil pumps and they are all plastic. Not sure what caused the pump failure, possibly something fell into engine while it was apart or debris from earlier air filter prob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts