KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I had this issue on my SX about .4 hours into breaking it in on the track. We thought that the issue was due to shipping, but a rock could have very well taken care of it. I took my quad back and they warrantied the issue. I would take it in.

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How is this even possible?

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
thin castings / brittle alloy + vibration.

Quad chassis have a very different harmonic resonance characteristic compared to a two wheeler chassis. more tubular mass extending forward plus a arms and a big wide axle hanging out the sides. Acts like a big tuning fork and amplifies the vibes to hell.........

Engines that are "smooth" in a 2 wheeler can really buzz in a quad chassis (hence why the old Honda and Suzuki 2 stroke R's had counterblancers where as the dirtbike engines they where based on didn't........)

I noticed that the 505 has a head stay mounting cast into the head but no brackets to the chassis, ive noticed the Sx buzzs alot more than the XC vibe wise........ I've been considering fabbing a bracket similar to the YFZ's or maybe the LTR's top mounts

ATP had a whole heap of problems with Suzuki LTR crankcases cracking, turned out to be an alloy embrittlement issue with a specific batch.............

this S##t happens...........

·
Registered
880 Posts
thin castings / brittle alloy + vibration.

Quad chassis have a very different harmonic resonance characteristic compared to a two wheeler chassis. more tubular mass extending forward plus a arms and a big wide axle hanging out the sides. Acts like a big tuning fork and amplifies the vibes to hell.........

Engines that are "smooth" in a 2 wheeler can really buzz in a quad chassis (hence why the old Honda and Suzuki 2 stroke R's had counterblancers where as the dirtbike engines they where based on didn't........)

I noticed that the 505 has a head stay mounting cast into the head but no brackets to the chassis, ive noticed the Sx buzzs alot more than the XC vibe wise........ I've been considering fabbing a bracket similar to the YFZ's or maybe the LTR's top mounts

ATP had a whole heap of problems with Suzuki LTR crankcases cracking, turned out to be an alloy embrittlement issue with a specific batch.............

Made one on Chads 08 XC the frame was flexing and kept cutting the top coolant hose worked great. It's a tight fit.
Bill

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

It wasnt and ATP issue, it was the new casting for the 2007 quads. They thickened the cases in one area and it weekened it in another. Gonna love those LTR's ;)

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Never said it was, ATP reported how they split several engine cases clean through the crank CL - main shaft CL ATP said the alloy blend was changed for the inital 07 production was the main problem, though not specifically confirmed it's likely it was changed back to the 06 aluminium alloy blend real quick at the factory..........

It wasnt and ATP issue, it was the new casting for the 2007 quads. They thickened the cases in one area and it weekened it in another. Gonna love those LTR's ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts