KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding today when i suddenly smelled burning oil. I stopped looked down and there was oil all over the head and cylinder so i pulled of the tank to check my valve covers, everything was sprayed with oil. one of the bolts from the head cover was broken off near the bottom of the bolt. Has anyone had this happen or know what could have caused this? :angry:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would check the rest of them to see if more are about to break. If it is more than one there is some kind of harmonic vibration problem. There was a particular rpm on the old RXL snowmobiles that would start breaking the bolts that held the cylinders down on the motor. If the rest look fine then it was probably just a bad bolt. May have been overtightened. What did the break look like?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two bolts on the right of the engine are to hold the rocker arm shafts.There is some obvious vibration since both of the bolts have two grooves worn in them.The bolts are 6mm by 55mm grade 8 ,the bottom 5 mm of thread broke off in the cylinder head.
My fix was to take of the head cover after everything is wiped and blown out with compressed air, then cover the cylinder and valves with some Glad press and seal saran wrap cut out the hole with the broken piece in it and tape down with Duct tape. When it is all sealed up drill the center of the broken bolt with a 5/64 bit.Take your time and drill straight because if you slip, drill crooked or break the drill bit you will f**k up the thread and you will have a really crappy day. Then use a screw extractor to remove the piece ,use a magnet to take any drill filings out of the bolt hole BEFORE removing the tape or plastic.Then proceed to put engine back together. Getting the cover off and on over the cam gear can be a little frustrating so take your time.
I did this without removing the motor from the frame and for some unknown reason even to myself (could have been the 26 of whiskey I was drinking to drown my sorrow)I did this monday night after a shitty day at work and my truck accident! :huh:
hey something had to go right after all this BS!
PS. you should also change your oil just in case anything fell in, and set your valves.
Should be ready to rip!
From now on I will replace these bolts every six months or so. :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts