KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many hours do i need to run the quad for the best breakin......

·
Registered
769 Posts
everyone opinions may vary on this, The book says 12 hours, I'll tell you, your motor has already been run at wide open throttle, KTM motor dyno's every engine to insure it's up to snuff, then they install it into the quad and chassis dyno the quad, if I remember right 15 minute engine dyno and 20 chassis dyno, I broke mine in on the dyno at WOT, mine has 49 hours now and still is making the same power as it did new...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
everyone opinions may vary on this, The book says 12 hours, I'll tell you, your motor has already been run at wide open throttle, KTM motor dyno's every engine to insure it's up to snuff, then they install it into the quad and chassis dyno the quad, if I remember right 15 minute engine dyno and 20 chassis dyno, I broke mine in on the dyno at WOT, mine has 49 hours now and still is making the same power as it did new...
thanks..

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I find this a good article about that matter
http://atvconnection.com/Departments/ATV_T...In-Your-ATV.cfm

The key to successful break-in is to ride the quad easy but not so mellow that the rings cant seat within the cylinder. The best way to do this is to combine a high load with low rpm. In other words lug the engine a bit by riding smoothly in a higher gear then necessary as opposed to popping it into one gear and revving it out.

I would say, change the oil frequently in the first 15 hours.
KTM says, the first 3h with 50% throttle and the next 12h with 75% throttle so it's a total of 15h break in. Yamaha says more than 10h also, etc
Of course no one follows that :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
it was tough to stay in with in manfactures specs for break in but i did it with my predator 1 hour oil change then 10 hours of easy riding. Longest ten hours of my life LOL

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
it was tough to stay in with in manfactures specs for break in but i did it with my predator 1 hour oil change then 10 hours of easy riding. Longest ten hours of my life LOL
And did you have any probs with the engine after that? (i know it doesn't prove anything, it's just 1 atv)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have 5 hours on mine and had it up to 75% throttle quite a few times do u think that will hurt my engine...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts