KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my front brakes at my last race - figured it was the stock pads and they heated up. Well I went out yesterday to replace with sintered ones and still didnt have anything. So I bled and bled and bled till I was sick of it. Still nothing. Any ideas? I've been racing for 5 years so I know how to blead brakes. Think mayber a seal is gone in the caliper? I have only gotten 5 rides on it so far.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I lost my front brakes at my last race - figured it was the stock pads and they heated up. Well I went out yesterday to replace with sintered ones and still didnt have anything. So I bled and bled and bled till I was sick of it. Still nothing. Any ideas? I've been racing for 5 years so I know how to blead brakes. Think mayber a seal is gone in the caliper? I have only gotten 5 rides on it so far.

I would think if it were the caliper it would leak all over the place. It sounds to me as it is your master cylender.

s/f
Brian

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I had the same problem bleeding the lines when I went to longer ones.
Tried for about 3 hours using a vaccum set up.
Ended up taking it down to the local KTM bloke.
Took him near as long. Tapping lines, bleeding, tapping the lines more, pushing the pistons back in & getting air out of the master cylinder.
Said that some of the KTMs are just like that for no reason.
Well worth the stuffing around once they were done though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think if it were the caliper it would leak all over the place. It sounds to me as it is your master cylender.

s/f
Brian
Well its not leaking there....I guess lost down under is right I'm going to take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it. I'm sick of looking at brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
i know you dont want to hear it, but if the calipers arent leaking then you need to re-bleed the entire system. go to the local autoparts store and buy a $20 brake hand bleed kit if you dont already have one. pump away and pull 25 lbs vaccum before cracking that bleed nut. only keep it cracked for 1-2 seconds as with that much vaccum you will drain the reservoir real quick. repeat 5 times on each side and you will wont be disappointed.

i hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know you dont want to hear it, but if the calipers arent leaking then you need to re-bleed the entire system. go to the local autoparts store and buy a brake hand bleed kit if you dont already have one. pump away and pull 25 lbs vaccum before cracking that bleed nut. only keep it cracked for 1-2 seconds as with that much vaccum you will drain the reservoir real quick. repeat 5 times on each side and you will wont be disappointed.

i hope this helps and good luck!
Already rebled the brakes. I have that same system and after 2 bottles of brake fluid later still nothing. Thats why I think I have a bad seal somewhere.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dealer took it in and is going to warranty it. He said the KTMs have issues with the master cylinder seals going bad and figures that is whats wrong with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts