KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

Bolt problems

10K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  blitzk26 
#1 ·
Just wanted 2 find out what you guys did when taking plastic off tank and the stupid bolt will not come out due 2 other piece in tank is turning. I cant find the post on this one. I remember reading something about this problem. Thanks Big B Somebody got any info on this. need some help. Thanks

#2 ·
Told my dealer, KTM warrantyed it, thank god, that tank is around $500. I pried it out, and tank leaked.

#3 ·
Told my dealer, KTM warrantyed it, thank god, that tank is around 0. I pried it out, and tank leaked.
K. I wonder if any KTM dealer will warranty the problem. I bought mine 3 hours away from home, so cant take back 2 them.

#5 ·
Feel sorry for you mate.
Only thing I can think of is drowning it with some WD-40 and leaving it sit for a day or two before trying again.
Any sort of heat will just melt the plastics.
Worse case, prise the inserts out of the tank and go for a three hour drive to replace the tank. I would replace the tank anyway now the inserts are spinning.
I always put a dab of grease on my bolts before I put them in.

#6 ·
I will try that. Someone told me they heated up a socket and once he thought it was hot enough he pulled the hole thing out.. not sure if I like that ideal. Thanks for your input . I cant believe no one else has had this problem. would like some more input on this.

#7 ·
i have the same problem..
im just not going to worry about it until i have to take the fenders off..

#8 ·
Good luck. I'm having my valves looked at and the tank needs 2 come off.

#11 ·
This just happened again to me yesterday. And they already waranteed a tank for me. Now Im convinced, theres nothing you can do to avoid this from happening besides buying a new tank. It stopped me from going to the track yesterday. I injected JB Weld in and around the socket for the nut and I just checked on it. Its tighter than brand new and doesnt leak. This is a great fix for someone who still wants to ride or race if they cant get their hands on a new tank right away. Im going to the track now, Ill post if it leaks after a day of riding.

#13 ·
Mine did the same thing. I called Customer relations yesterday (888) 985-6090 and talked to brian and he said ktm is replacing the tanks for free he is supposed to call the dealer and set it up for me too. Labor not included, just tell them you want to put the tank on yourself. I actually pulled the nut out of the tank and left it off and didnt bolt that corner of plastic down. My 525 is way out of warranty so its a good deal for all of us. just don't overtighten or it will keep happening.

#20 ·
Yeah i actually fixed my broken tank better than new. I used JB Weld and in jected it in and around the stripped stud. I later filled my tank with gas and it completely stopped the leak. I even put it around the studs that werent stripped then later tightened the hell out of the bolts (cause my tank was already broken, i figured id try it) and I couldnt strip them. Im going to reinforce the new tank that way.......why not

#23 ·
just spoke to ktm uk and they say this is the first they have heard about it.

he even said that he speaks to a guy in the states - tyler someone - whos head of warranties and he's not mentioned anything either.

he then went on to say "you can't believe anything you read online on forums etc." which is total rubbish.

i come to you guys before even think about speaking to ktm.

eff ktm - big up ktmatvhq

#27 ·
I too had the same problem of the tank inserts spinning. I talked to my dealer and had them warranty the tank and send the replacement tank to my house. I used a small set of neddle nose vise grips and a drill to remove the head of the bolt. This saved me from destroying my plastics. The bolt heads are very soft and easy to drill out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.