KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the KTM fiche, stock battery is YTX5L-BS

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery_search.asp

YTX5L-BS, size 114mm x 71mm x 106mm, rated at a wimpy 70 CCA... used in various 50 / 80 / 90 cc quads...... gads........ weighs 3.5lbs

there is a taller unit YTX7L-BS, 114 X 71 X 131, 85 CCA..... better but......

Ideal replacement looks like a YTZ 7S, 113mm x 70mm x 105mm, 130 CCA is this the ideal swap in ??? - battery for 06 - 07 TRX 450R, weighs 4.6 lbs

I know what I 'm gonna check out Saturday morning..........

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I read the KTM GNCC team was running a YFZ battery with the T&K battery box.

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the YFZ battery is only 85 CCA.......... better than 70 for sure

the advantage of the YTZ 7S is it will fit the stock box and has over 50% more cranking power, now thats an upgrade !

On the SX they are a bitch on hot start, don't even think about trying to start it in gear clutch in, battery dies very quick, and if your been in a pile up on the track, forget it, simply won't start, the battery just gives up............ I've had two DNF's due to this........

I've charged it before events, during events even...... it just ain't man enough for the job on the SX for hot starts. In comparison I never had battery / hot starting problems on the XC.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the YFZ battery is only 85 CCA.......... better than 70 for sure

the advantage of the YTZ 7S is it will fit the stock box and has over 50% more cranking power, now thats an upgrade !

On the SX they are a bitch on hot start, don't even think about trying to start it in gear clutch in, battery dies very quick, and if your been in a pile up on the track, forget it, simply won't start, the battery just gives up............ I've had two DNF's due to this........

I've charged it before events, during events even...... it just ain't man enough for the job on the SX for hot starts. In comparison I never had battery / hot starting problems on the XC.

The Yuasa YFZ battery is 85 CCA however the GT7B-4 yamaha battery is 110CCA

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Anybody on here put a kickstart on their XC or SX? i'm looking at doing that on my XC for TT and MX. I plan to keep my electric start for XC races though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Anybody on here put a kickstart on their XC or SX? i'm looking at doing that on my XC for TT and MX. I plan to keep my electric start for XC races though.

I guess the kick wont work on the XC. The frame gets in the way.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I guess the kick wont work on the XC. The frame gets in the way.
Rath has been putting them in their Outlaws. Not sure what they did for the kick. I'm thinking of doing the same to my XC. I guess it saves aound 13lbs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Rath has been putting them in their Outlaws. Not sure what they did for the kick. I'm thinking of doing the same to my XC. I guess it saves aound 13lbs.

I know that a kickstart will fit on the motor, but idk about the frame, im sure its different than an outlaw.
Let me know what you find out. I'd be interested to hear.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
ltz470 has the 7s battery and it is absolutely amazing. it started so quick each time. i have been meaning to buy one, just havent got around to it...
So, is the 7s battery the same size as stock? I just broke my plastic battery box s I'm thinking of just buying the KTM aluminum one in the other thread. I've had a problem with mine stating in the cold. Doesn't seem to hold a charge as well as it did when the temps were warmer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
from the KTM fiche, stock battery is YTX5L-BS

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery_search.asp

YTX5L-BS, size 114mm x 71mm x 106mm, rated at a wimpy 70 CCA... used in various 50 / 80 / 90 cc quads...... gads........ weighs 3.5lbs

there is a taller unit YTX7L-BS, 114 X 71 X 131, 85 CCA..... better but......

Ideal replacement looks like a YTZ 7S, 113mm x 70mm x 105mm, 130 CCA is this the ideal swap in ??? - battery for 06 - 07 TRX 450R, weighs 4.6 lbs

I know what I 'm gonna check out Saturday morning..........

have u tried the 450R battery yet???

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have it in mty shop, will go in shortly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im using another bigger battery. But i dont know the type or anything so il check it out what type it is and what brand. Maybe it will help some of you.
It almosth is a perfect fit my hood hits the battery a bit but its no problem or anything so maybe with another battery box it wont hit at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts