KTM ATV HQ Forums banner

Best tire for MX racing?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KantTopMe 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade the tires for MX racing. Currently we are running the RAZR originals and I love them. I'm thinking about going with the RAZR XM. We need something that hooks up good but still allows it to slide in the corners without bicycling.

Dirt Bike Maxxis RAZR XM Motocross Rear Tire | MotoSport

#2 ·
The XCR isn't available in the 18" size that is ideal for MX. I have been running the DWT MX V4 rears and the MX V3 fronts lately and have been really happy with them. FYI the knobs on the red compound soft tires are like squeezing a gummy bear between your fingers. They grip on anything, but won't last you very long. I recommend the blue medium compound if you want to get some life out of them.

#3 ·
I have had a set of XCRs before. I thought they were a very good tire and would probably buy another set for general riding. They are definitely a bit smaller than say a Razr 20". I think ITP measures tire diameter at the tops of the knobs and some others measure at the surface of the carcass. Most of the MX tires from all brands that I've used seem to be sized pretty similarly. I still would pick something else for strictly MX use. The rubber compounds in the MX specific tires add another level of traction. I haven't run any of the the other ITP MX tires but I have used a few sets of MXR6s and they worked well. The will wear pretty quick on the hard pack though.

KantTopMe, what type of tracks do you ride mostly?

#9 ·
Would definitely get you through any mud holes haha.

Not sure what happened to this thread. I remember there used to be some other comments up above.

#10 ·
Also curious how the xm and xc razers compare to the originals

#11 ·
The XM are very, very soft and gummy. They grip very well on the hard pack. He really liked the controllable slide to them. They are a very light tire and are only 2-ply. Do not try to use them in the woods. I put a hole in one just running it around the house before it ever even seen the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.